There is a sign at the library where I work that says my St. Paul library card can be used at more than 100 sites. These are the various branches in the Metropolitan Library Services Association of Minnesota, which includes libraries in St. Paul and seven counties: Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, and Washington. I decided to spend the summer of 2012 visiting each branch.
I created these ground rules for myself:
* Visit in person, while the library is open
* Take a picture of the exterior
* Explore the interior, taking notes of things I especially like (and, rarely, dislike)
* Register my card, if I am in a county where it is not already registered
* Take out at least one book
* Use public transportation (bus and light rail) whenever possible
Sometimes I chatted with staff, sometimes not. This depended on availability, my inclination at the time, and how soon I needed to catch a bus.
I've been posting the pictures and comments on Facebook, but friends have convinced me to switch to a blog.
So I'm going to try it.