Friday, July 26, 2019

514 Webster Library, Webster, NY

Libraries in re-purposed buildings, like stores, are not rare. They are found in Rosebush, MI, Pierz, MN, and Centuria, WI, for three examples. But the Webster library has taken this to a new level: it's enormous. Approaching the entrance I was thinking, "Great, a storefront library. This will be a fast visit."

Wrong. Let me show you how wrong I was.


As soon as you come in the door you find a pleasant space with carpet, chairs, and plants. I don't know whether you can come into this area before the library opens. I know that where I live there is often a group waiting to get into a library; a space like this would be great, especially in bad weather.


The Friends' bookstore is right inside the door. Books are displayed attractively, and prices are reasonable.


The sign about double-checking before donating material to the Friends made me chuckle. I can easily imagine the phone call: "I can't find my grandson's graduation picture, I think it might have been in one of the books I donated! Do you have it?" And thus begins a frantic search. There's also a small seating area with information about joining the Friends.

    


I believe this display involves the seed exchange. I'm prepared to believe that at least 25% of libraries with an unused card catalog are using it for a seed exchange.



The library sports a very large collection of periodicals. And if you have magazines you've finished reading, you can bring them to the Magazine Exchange.


        

This is one of the largest collections of travel books that I have seen.


A wall-full of watercolors by Steve Sidare is pleasant viewing; and I'm sure he'd be glad to sell to you!


How many hints do you see that we are entering the children's area? Let's see: small white footbridge, check; summer reading poster, check; a long rainbow across the whole area, check.


Here's a nice corner if you want to sit and read to a child. I love the mural. And I noticed that the wide chair is really a swing. The brown box on the top shelf is a suggestion box.


These kits hold books and DVDs ready to go out with a youngster. As far as I could see they are all science subjects and appropriate for various ages.


The white "picket fence" and coat hooks  are outside a large program room. No picture of the program room, which had a couple of families playing with their kids. That's always nice to see, and well worth giving up a couple of pictures. [Firm rule: No people in my pictures.]


Junior DVDs and paperback chapter books are on these metal racks with casters.


Many of the upper walls sport whimsical murals, mostly with animals...


...and of course, a superhero.


Given its location, it seems that this diner seating is for the elementary school crowd. Nice to see them getting what is usually reserved for teens.


Comics broadly defined. This area holds all of the juvenile comic books and graphic novels.


I think we need a puppet show about a camping trip, yes? Or perhaps that is a snack bar, ready to serve us a yummy burger. The imagination of kids knows no bounds.


This surprised and pleased me. The surprise is that they are not hanging in the children's area, where I'd expect to see something called an "Experience Kit." The part that pleases me is that these kits are for adults. the topics shown here are Citizenship, Home Improvement, and Science Fiction. I took a look at the library catalog and saw that there are also Weekend Experience Kits with books and a DVD.


The craft and activity cart is standing by for anyone to use, as far as I could tell.


The cafe includes assorted seating and a fireplace, as well as vending machines and coffee.


Remember the long rainbow that introduces the children's area? Teens get an edgier mural of outer space.


I got a glimpse of this table and had to check it out. It's in the teen area and it's been painted with chalkboard paint. Chalk pictures on the sidewalk grow up and come inside.



Here's a long view, taken from near the entrance. The space just goes on and on, with every corner holding what's needed for its purpose.


And I always have to remind myself to look up; library ceilings often hold surprises of design or decoration, in this case an oculus. And a web for the Spiderman mural, perhaps?


I seem to have missed a few pictures, so I want to include that there are also centers for "Careers and College," Large Print, Consumer Information, and Local History.  NOTE: I found them. I'll add the commentary tomorrow, it's getting late.]









Finally, I spotted this swan as I headed back out the door.




7/25/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.