Thursday, July 4, 2019

504 Bella Vista Library, Bella Vista, Arkansas

I have a friend who lives in Minneapolis but would dearly love to once again live in the Ozarks. Specifically, in Bella Vista, Arkansas. And after visiting this part of the country, where I had never ventured before, I totally understand her desire. The trees...the hills.... Driving was especially fun where the hills are frequent and steep; not quite a roller coaster ride, but close.

So here I am at the Bella Vista library, on a hill (where else?) and nestled in trees. No, that's not my car; I parked in a welcome bit of shade!


This is a relatively young library, founded in 1981 when Lyla Wylie received permission from the Bella Vista Property Owners Association to form a Library Board of Trustees.  The library was located in several locations throughout Bella Vista before the current 7,000 square foot facility was built in 1996. [Information from library website.]



You may know that I'm always on the lookout for things I haven't seen before in a library. Here, I turned left inside the door and immediately found one. No, not the telescope; they are surprisingly common in libraries these days. But a skeleton, one that you can borrow, that is new to me.


I made the next picture large so that you can see the fishing tackle hanging on the door near the kids' area. Yes, you can borrow it! Actually, I've seen fishing tackle available to borrow at a surprising number of libraries. If there are fishing opportunities nearby, the local library is often ready to help.


LEGO is big at Bella Vista. Not only are there many constructions behind clear "hands off!" barriers, but there is an especially large set of base plates mounted vertically with an invitation to "build on the wall." Unused pieces are collected in two long, narrow trays that I think have been made from rain gutters--clever! And since it's hard to keep LEGO pieces corralled, there is a small dust pan with a long handle, with a broom to match, and this sign: "Please use the LEGO sweeper when you're done playing."


Something else I saw here was a "Krayon Kiosk," a brightly-colored computer game station for young kids. The only other place I've seen one of these was in the public library in Olean, New York, when I visited last summer. I couldn't take a picture here, because when I came in two little girls were engrossed in one of the activities...and when I was leaving and tried again, two little boys had taken their places! A regular computer for kids, with a brightly-colored keyboard, was in the same area.

Calling all tea party fans: The table is set and ready to go. Be sure you note the table legs!


The library has a relatively large book sale area, Encore Books, where I understand interesting first editions can sometimes be found. See the blue and white bags hanging from the counter? Some books are individually priced, but in general it's "a bag of books for $2.50 or 25 cents a book. Magazines are 20 cents, and there is even a box of loose greeting cards for sale.


These are the non-fiction stacks. I like the small desk with the sloped top at the end of one stack, ready to support a book while you read enough to decide if it really meets your need.


This bald eagle was carved by Paul B. Parish. I didn't see any identifying information for the painting of the local scene.


I got a chuckle from this sign asking for library volunteers. It would be nice if all volunteers were "a hoot to be around!" The one I talked to seemed as if she would be "a hoot."


The back door is flanked by two wooden, glass-fronted cases displaying special old books. It appeared that the door is not being used now because some construction is underway.


It's not unusual to find a section of western novels, but this is the first time I've seen them guarded by John Wayne. A feature I like in the fiction stacks is the use of cards with suggestions like "If you like Nicholas Sparks, you may also like..." followed by a list of authors of similar books. This practice puts useful information right at the point of need.


I missed getting a picture of the teen section. I think the blue and red carts shown hold book prizes for the summer reading program. I spotted at least four computers for patron use.

   

There's a bit of everything in this library; I suggested that it's "ten pounds of library in a five pound building," and I wasn't contradicted. That is why...


...an expansion project is underway, as you can see in these models of the planned outcome. No date was specified, but I may just have to keep and eye out and plan to come back when the work is finished. Maybe my Minneapolis friend will be living here by then!

     

6/29/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.