Thursday, July 4, 2019

506 Mid Continental Public Library, Excelsior Springs Branch

Getting here was a bit tricky; lots of roads and driveways had me disagreeing with my gps more than once. Fortunately, I had seen the library's website. As soon as I spotted the yellow accent over the door, I knew we had arrived.

    

The library was closed for renovations last summer and reopened in November 2018. That's an example of why I always check a library's website before I add it to my itinerary. Even so, it has happened a couple of times in 500+ libraries that there was no visit to be had. One time, the hours open had been changed, but the website hadn't been updated. Another time, the website stated correctly that a library would be open on Sunday afternoons, but it failed to mention the exception: Mother's Day, the day I was there. But here we are at Excelsior Springs and the library is open. Let's go inside.


The children's area has these wonderful foam cubes for seating.They look as if they can be  moved into different configurations. And if you look closely you'll see the large gold stars on the wall, one for each child who has completed the "1000 Books Before Kindergarten" challenge. That unusual seat on casters in the foreground looks like one recently acquired by one of my home libraries; I'll be there tomorrow and will have to take a look.


There are many of these packets of books in the kid's area. Nearby were a bunch of labels, or cards, indicating topics. I had to ask how the system works, and it's pretty neat. An unused card is an invitation to someone on staff to put together a packet of books on that topic. When the books come back, the label goes back into the pile to be used again. But I'm still not quite clear on how you know all the books in a specific pack have been returned.



There are many titles of periodicals for kids.


Someone has been keeping up with the shelving! Where I used to work, I don't think we ever got all of the carts empty at the same time. There's a nice big open space near the back of the library; I wonder if the staff ever considers having a "book cart drill team?"

This "diner seating" looks lonely. I think it needs a few teens hanging out on it.


I'm not sure what it means that in space no one can hear you read. But I'm pretty sure this is in the teen area, so it's quite normal for me to "not get it."


Here's that bulletin board in context. 



Just an over-all picture of the stacks, front to back.


The adults also have a wide variety of periodicals to choose from.


These magazines have been brought in for the swap table.


This is a photo of a particular class from the old Wyman School in Excelsior.  What makes it extra special is that several of the current staff actually know some of the children in the picture (who are now past retirement age), so it makes for a nice talking piece.




Computers are available for patron use.


After a trip around the library we are back near the entrance. The summer reading program is "A Universe of Stories," as it is in so many libraries this year. The reason, of course, is the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. To me, it seems like...well, not yesterday, but certainly not too long ago. To today's youngsters it must be ancient history!


I imagine that young kids really enjoy having their pictures taken as an astronaut.


The poster explains the reading program. It looks complicated!



Speaking of Space, I think these self-service stations are pretty cool and very futuristic-looking. They check out books, collect fees, all sorts of things. The only downside, as I discussed with one of librarians, is what I experienced before I stopped working at a library in Ramsey County, Minnesota. Without the need of help from staff, patrons can dash in, drop off books, collect their reserved books, and dash out again. Much patron contact is limited to problems.



Finally, this divider holds various newspapers. There is comfortable seating nearby for a reader's pleasure.


Finally, what is the Mid Continental Public Library? Basically, it is a library system that includes 
Clay, Platte, and Jackson Counties in Missouri. There are 34 branch libraries plus the Midwest Genealogy Center and the Administrative Headquarters in Independence, MO. The Mid Continental website reflects loads of activities, including programs for all ages at all branches.

6/29/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.