Tuesday, July 2, 2019

501 Independence Kansas Public Library


Image may contain: one or more people and indoor

I have a warm spot for cats, especially library cats. I've met Louis in Freedom, New Hampshire, and Page in Cazenovia, New York. I haven't met Elsie in St. Helena, California, but I have a t-shirt that features her picture. And Browser, who retired last year from his role as library cat in Pine River, Minnesota, was living off-site when I visited, while some noisy construction was taking place at the library.

Which brings us to Trixie, the library cat in Independence , Nebraska. I felt like I almost knew Trixie because she has quite a presence on FaceBook, but I wanted to meet her. And visit her library, of course. And meet some of those she calls her "hoomins." So I planned an itinerary for a four-day, six-library road trip and headed south on I-35.

Trixie had to be fetched from the director's office to come meet me. She had little interest in me, but she thought my shoes had promise; I have two cats. I discovered that I was so caught up in the process of getting Trixie to say hello, I completely forgot to take her picture. Fortunately, one of her hoomins did take a picture, and posted it on FB, whence I swiped it. [Sorry about that...]

All right, let's move on and visit:



And remember that, despite what that famous movie says, we ARE in Kansas, not that other nearby state.

The library was built in 1907 with $22,000 from Andrew Carnegie.



I hadn't realized when I decided to visit this library that in the very year that I started this blog, it was named the "Best Small Library in America." That's a lot to live up to, so let's take a look around.

   
   
We're starting in the entry level of the "new" (2007) library. I was told that this is"not a quiet library." For one example, I learned that a patron comes in from time to time to play the piano that awaits. And notice that red-framed array of art on the wall. You will see other similar displays, which appear to come from elementary school classrooms. This suggests to me a close relationship between the library and the schools.


There are plenty of places to sit and read, including this corner with a large plant.


Here are more of those pictures by the schoolkids.


The first floor holds the adult fiction collection, with signs indicating an unusually large variety of genres. DVDs are shelved in this area, too.


A friendly invitation to patrons who are searching for their next book or the answer to a question.


The Lit Lounge offers new fiction and multiple copies of books offering opportunities for discussion. For some reason, "Lit Lounge" sounds more inviting to me than "Book Clubs." Notice the circles high on the wall? It took me a minute to catch on that they represent phases of the moon!


I had to think for a minute to remember why I took the picture below. So: this is the self check-out station, and the red-framed mirror to the patron's left suggests "Self Check-out." So I did, and I didn't look too bad!


We are now on the upper level, still in the newer part of the library. This is where the non-fiction collection lives, and I think the narrow slots for oversize books are brilliant.


My guess is that this picture celebrates either the design or the completion of the addition to the Carnegie library. The Carnegie part, with its distinctive columns, is to the right.


Lamps like these on study tables always seem to me a reflection of the older, classic days of the library.


Libraries are becoming sources for much more than books. Now in some places they offer a "library of things," which in this case includes exercise equipment!


.This three-sided column intrigues me. It was created by Jim Hayward from "found" and donated objects. The sides say "Love One Another," Love Independence" (a double meaning there), and 'Love Art." Each library I visit has one or more elements that make it unique...and here's one now!


   

The upper level overlooks the open lobby space. A key feature here is the stunning stained-glass stabile hanging from the ceiling.


Now we'll go into the Carnegie building. You can see details from the former outside wall. The hexagonal plaques honor major donors.


This space holds the historic research collection, with study tables and a desk for staff.


I was puzzled by this French newspaper with its laminated pages, and for once I remembered to ask. A logical answer: the paper commemorates Armstrong's landing on the moon 50 years ago. A patron provided this wonderful primary source.


The fireplace is another reminder that this is a Carnegie original. His portrait is just out of sight at the top of the picture.


Tucked away from the non-fiction and reference areas is this utilitarian room used for meetings and "sack lunches." Are these the lunches provided for kids ages 1 to 18? I forgot to ask, but it seems likely.


Being an inquiring sort, I ventured up these stairs...only to discover a small, rather random, storage area. Oh, well, my FitBit gives me credit for stairs climbed, so...worth the climb!


Here's what you want if you are headed up to the children's area.


In order to be accessible to all users, the library has an elevator, of course. I enjoyed this sign, especially the part the reads "Children Caught Using The Elevator Will Be Asked To Leave The Library." I'll bet that "asked" is an understatement.


Another sign by the elevator is very important. It reminds users not to back off of the elevator. Why? Well, there is a fairly small landing between the elevator and the top of the stairs. Coming off the elevator backwards could lead to a very fast and uncomfortable trip down! Often when I see signs I can imagine that they were designed to correct a problem after it had arisen. I sure hope that is not the case here. As for the silhouettes, I'm not sure. Maybe the Hardy Boys leading the way to the children's area?


This picture shows the way into the children's area, which was very active. The older elementary kids were playing games on the (supposedly) teen computers. Younger kids were reading, for the most part.

Nobody was using the computers intended for younger kids.




The very night that I was there, library staff were preparing for an overnight camp-in, which I learned is for families, not kids alone. I believe there were about six families registered to spend the night in the library. That's a pretty brave undertaking, I think.


The craft cabinet "for YOU!" provides supplies for kids to use independently, I believe. Neat idea. Well, not the cleanup part, but you know what I mean. Not pictured are two go-carts tucked away behind the children's librarian's desk. Nice story: The go-karts were built with the help of a "Fab Lab" at the local community college. Even better, the kits were converted from gas to electric! Not a short-term project, you can look out for them on the streets of Independence in the summer of 2020.


And now we will head back down to the lobby area, past this classy mural.


Finally, on my way out I visited the Second Chapter Book Store and got a recorded book for those parts of the trip when I could not find a public radio station on the car radio. And look at the rectangular whiteboard sign: it says that 354 people visited the library the day before. Not bad!


A small patio by the entrance provides shade and a pair of "child reading" statues.

   

A fine visit...and I'm glad to have met you at last, Trixie!

6/28/2019





2 comments:

  1. I claim no authority on the history of this blog, but have you ever appeared on it before?

    So much nice stuff you noticed here, and I too am duly impressed with the narrow slots for oversized books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a librarian in New Hampshire, but my in-laws live in Independence, KS. I'm not sure they've ever been to their library, but I'll have to tell them to go now that I see how lovely it is!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.