Thursday, July 18, 2019

509 Kilton Public Library, West Lebanon, New Hampshire

This library building is about 10 years old, and is the first Gold LEED certified library in New Hampshire. It has many interesting features reflecting this status. I strongly suggest taking a look at https://leblibrary.com/node/108 to see a better image of the library and some of the details of the library and its LEED status.


This is a minor point, but kudos to West Lebanon for providing a crosswalk with a pedestrian light between the two traffic lights. I've suggested this for Ridgedale Library in Minneapolis, where the bus leaves you across from the library, right between two distant traffic lights on a much busier road. I should show them this!


Returning books when the library is closed? Put them in this cute wooden bookdrop!


The cellophane-wrapped bundles on the top shelf are prizes for the adult summer reading program. When I started this blog back in 2012, I rarely saw an adult reading program. Now the situation is reversed and I seldom visit a library that does not have one. Even the Wilson Library at the University of Minnesota has summer reading challenges. [Their prizes are nowhere near as good as I find in public libraries, however!]


These handsome stained-glass windows were moved from the older library to create a wall between the lobby area and the teen space. I don't have a picture of the teen space because it was full of teens; I couldn't find a workable angle to avoid people in the picture.



Another feature present in nearly every library is a reading / browsing corner, almost always with natural light, as here.


Metal A-frame racks hold DVDs, and there are eight computers for patron use. There is also a long array of tables where patrons can use their laptops--or use one borrowed from the library. I can't show you that array, because every table was occupied. That's the best possible reason for not taking a picture: that the library is busy!

While we're talking about computers, the Director told me about a special service involving Tor on Chrome Books. I won't claim a great understanding of this (you can google it) but it involves browsing the Internet anonymously.

    

Another nearby table is for a puzzle-in-progress. I've often seen puzzles at libraries, but this is the first time I've seen a sign that lists some psychological benefits of puzzles, like increased memory, creativity, whole-brain development, release of dopamine, and meditation. I like to do puzzles, but my two cats have other ideas so I have given it up. I gave a quick look at this one, but all the "easy" bits seemed to be done.


The long stacks have lighting that comes on when you walk into them. This power-saving approach is part of the LEED certification and is found in several other areas of the library. Stacks of non-fiction are followed by recorded books, then fiction.


Another growing practice in libraries is "the library of things," and this library has quite an assortment. There is also the "Cool Stuff Collection." Sorry, I wish I had better pictures of these, with more detail about what is available. Here's a partial list from a library information leaflet: Acoustic guitar, croquet set, sewing machine, metal detector...and more!

   

The largest meeting room is down a side corridor. This utilitarian room seats up to 100 people. This and two smaller meeting rooms can be reserved on line.

    

When I headed down the corridor to the meeting room, I noticed an arc visible on the floor. Puzzling. But with a little deduction I figured it out: The counter to the right of the picture is part of a wall that can be swung across, putting the coffee service on the meeting-room side of the corridor and closing off the corridor from the library. This allows the meeting room to be used outside of regular library hours. I believe it can be reserved for as early as 7 am and as late as 9 pm.


Now to the part of the library I would never miss: the children's library. The librarian has this attractive curved desk space (with a longer straight bit to the right).


The children's program room is bright and cheerful and has facilities for food and messy crafts. And speaking of facilities, look what's provided for the smaller patrons. This restroom is only for children, a good safety feature that I see at many larger libraries.

    

There are materials for creative play and an array of children's periodicals.

    

Board books are loaded into this cute, um, bookworm? train?


I managed to get this peek into the teen area from another angle.


The exterior is equally interesting. This is a view from inside the children's area.


Back to the entrance area, the ceiling soars. And another tidbit about the LEED certification is that there are a number of 450-foot wells which provide water for cooling in warm weather, heating in cold weather. 


The building in the right-center of the picture is the Kilton building, former home of the library and the source of the stained-glass windows we started with.


I was told about community gardens on the library property, but when I left the rain was starting, and I wimped out on looking for them. What a nice touch, however, to use land in an active, rather than passive way. I did, however, find this large "Little Free Library," one of four (I believe) in the town. A few years ago people (not library staff) would tell me that Little Free Libraries competed with "real" libraries. I've found quite the opposite, that the two complement each other nicely.





7/17/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.