Tuesday, July 23, 2019

510 Allenstown Public Library, Suncook, NH

I have (well, had, in the 1950s) some connections with Suncook, NH, so I wanted to visit their library. Hmm...there is no Suncook Library, really. It's the Allenstown Public Library, located in Suncook. OK...

My gps and I found this small, attractive library just about 6 miles from my sister's house in Concord. It's attractively landscaped...



...has a nice long ramp, so no accessibility issues...


...and a nice patio for use when it isn't raining. As it was this morning.


You know I look for signs, and the first one I saw here had some instructions about using the door. The sign speaks truth: the door does close fast and hard! I don't think I banged it too loudly.


The library is basically one large room, or two medium rooms, depending on how you think of it. I think two rooms, because there is a fireplace at each end. And there is a small office area to the back, behind the service desk. The children's area, shown here, is to the left.


This summer's reading theme is "A Universe of Stories," so the fireplace in the kids' space was hung with a space-themed cover. I was encouraged to look behind the cover, where I found the illustrated tiles. The tiles were commercially available once upon a time. They are based on the art of Walter Crane. Google him...he was quite the artist!


A general view of the kids' area. I like the bright blue table and chairs!


Two bookshelves back-to-back form a cozy reading nook. The books in tubs on the windowsill are available for free.


The fireplace at the adult end of the library is more dignified, with nice detailed woodwork, old pictures and a clock, and wing chairs--a place to sit and read after browsing the shelves.

   

Something old: Folding shutters. I don't know whether they cover the window; they don't look wide enough.
Something new: Three computers ready for patron use.


Here's another look at the shutters and the view outside. Natural light and a view are always nice features in a library. Just a glimpse here of a computer. Just enough to remind me of a poster I saw as I was leaving. It asks "Need a Computer?" and goes on to explain that a New Hampshire non-profit provides computers and technical support for low income persons. I've never seen that offered before, but it's good to know that it's available.


Parking was puzzling. I found a place in back of the library, near this book collection box. I think it was a "legal" parking place, because someone immediately made room for me to get out so that she could park in the same place.


A small library, but it appears to be staffed with good people, and it is providing many of the services on expects of a library these days. Nice work!

7/23/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.