Wednesday, July 24, 2019

512 Haskell Free Library, Derby Line, VT

Here we are in Derbyline Vermont, a town that is on the USA/Canada border. So what is it that sets this library apart from other libraries?


It's more than 100 years old and hasn't had much in the way of upgrades that I could identify. That's not so different from other older libraries. And benefactor names listed on metal plaques are not unusual.


Let's see...an old clock is not uncommon. But this is the first library where I've seen a moose head!


Here's a difference: see the vertical sign in the middle of the shelves? It shows where the collection of LIVRES FRANCAIS starts.


Audio books are shelved along the back wall.


In addition to the fact that the collection is roughly half and half English and French, there is also a collection of books in Spanish.


The counter with high stools and the collection of YA books make me think that this is the teen area, though I didn't spot any sign to that effect.

    

The stained glass windows are not flashy, but they add a classy note.


There is a very interesting arrangement of rods and connectors that hold the stacks in place. Also, notice that over-sized books are shelved on the top shelf, and it is high. I could probably get one of these books without a step stool, but just barely.


Here's a closer look at the braces.


I don't know the significance of this pattern of tiles in the floor in front of the service desk. Perhaps someone will leave a comment with an explanation. I probably should have asked if a tour was available!


There is a small room across from the service desk. It holds a collection of antiques, a fireplace, seating, and newspapers. Like all windows in the library, it has Venetian blinds with heavy wooden slats.

    


I'm heading back past the service desk to the children's area which is right inside the door. This long glassed case in the hall holds more antiques.


Here's what I came to see: a black stripe on the floor. Why? Well, left of the line shown here is in the United States. Right of this line is in Canada. Seriously. Residents of Darby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec use the library. The difference is that Canadians must park in a particular lot and walk around to the front door. But they do not have to go through Customs or anything like that.


The children's area also has materials in French and English, of course. Summer reading program materials, like everything else, are bilingual. Taking pictures in this room was tricky because it was very busy...with adults. I didn't see any kids. It's ready for them, however. The round table holds crayons and coloring sheets; the coloring sheets are recycled Easter egg hunt fliers. Good use of resources!

    

The children's room is graced with this handsome fireplace.


Here's a nice corner for reading to a kid...or to yourself. I almost missed this picture, but a woman who was reading here when I came in finally left. Note the radiator against the wall.


Nice supportive chairs for story time, eh?


The building, from across the street. The larger, curved door is the library entrance. The rectangular doorway on the right goes to the opera house. I didn't visit the opera house because I had a 5.5-hour drive ahead.


Both pictures are of the same stone, indicating United States and Canada. The pavement behind the United States stone is the parking area for Canadians.

    

Turn around and you see this sign indicating that you may not come through here in a vehicle. To reinforce the idea, there is no paved way to come around the building.


Finally I crossed the street and found a place to get the "classic" picture of the building. [Yes, there is a person in this picture. It's only inside that I have to keep people out of my pictures.]


On my way back to my car, I had a chance to get a picture of the opera house program for the year. Good luck reading it...but you get the idea.


7/24/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.