Tuesday, July 2, 2019

502 H F Tyler Memorial Library, Dewey, Oklahoma

I had noticed the town of Dewey, Oklahoma, on the map when I was planning this trip, but I didn't put it on the itinerary; so many libraries, so little time. But then I drove through the town on my way between two scheduled stops, and I spotted the standard library sign with an arrow...and I was a little bit ahead of schedule...and "Dewey" is a perfect name for a town with a library...

So I followed the arrow and found this attractive library. It was a very hot day, but the greenery planted around the flagpole almost looked cool. And the library was certainly inviting.


Like many libraries, the library in Dewey is named for a person. In this case, I didn't learn Herbert F. Tyler's significance. Perhaps someone will leave a comment and I can work it into the post. Please?


I found this on the library's FaceBook page: "We are a quaint friendly library located in the rural city of Dewey, Oklahoma. We have public access to Wi-Fi, computers, DVDs and over 18,000+ books." That strikes me as a good summary. 

There were no patrons when I arrived, and the staff person gave me a personal tour. This is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, I'm sure to see everything that is considered important. On the other hand, it's hard to take notes and pictures. But I certainly do thank my "tour guide," and admire her for her enthusiasm.

I was surprised that the summer reading program had just ended at the end of June, but it must have been lively while it lasted. A lot of work must have gone into the decorations for the year's theme, "A Universe of Stories." In addition to the planets suspended from the ceiling, note the dark UFO along the back wall, with two visitors from another world peering out the window at the top!

 

Here's another view of the universe-themed program room.


One nice feature of this library is their policy on paperbacks. There is an extensive collection of paperbacks along one wall, and they do not have to be checked out. Take one (or more), and bring it back for someone else to read when you are done.l


In addition to the paperback exchange, there are shelves of hard-bound books, both fiction and non-fiction.


The children's area follows the summer reading theme. And I think I spot a Sandra Boynton chicken to the left on the shelf! (I like Sandra Boynton's books. Find a couple of her books, add a couple of kids, and have some good laughs together.)


These computers are for kids, I believe...


...and there are several others for adults,


It always adds to the library experience, I think, when natural light is available. This comfortable seating area takes advantage of that light. The FREE sign is on a collection of magazines.


Thanks for giving me the tour. My notes are very sketchy; if I've missed anything you would like included, just leave a comment on this post.

6/28/2019



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.