Tuesday, July 16, 2019

508 Mercer Area Library, Mercer, Pennsylvania

I stayed in the Mercer area last night so I could be at the library right after it opened. There was a positive vibe as soon as I was in the door. A staff person was adding magazines to a "free" table in the lobby, and he greeted me and held the door for me. What a nice start to my day!

Next I was greeted by a staff person at the service desk. I gave her my "leave behind" card with info about the blog, and she said I needed to meet the director, Matthew, because he, too, has a goal that involves libraries and books. He came out and we chatted about my plan to visit "every library I can." His goal is more finite and thus achievable: to read a book with each Dewey Decimal classification, That's right--001, 002, and on through the one hundreds, two hundreds...nine hundreds. He has a spread sheet with all the numbers laid out and color coding to show which have already been covered.

Matt, I think you're going to read this, so I want to tell you what your plan reminded me of. One of the libraries I visited, in Wisconsin, I think, keeps a jar of tongue depressor-type sticks in the children's area. Each stick has a Dewey number on it. Kids are challenged to pull out a stick, find a book with that number, and read the book. The goal, of course, is to expand their reading horizons.

Well, enough chatter; let's visit the library.


When I started to look around, the first thing I spotted was an array of prizes for a summer drawing. I learned that there is a very active Friends group here, and they raise money, provide prizes, and ... much more, I'm sure. The picture on the right shows what I think is the most creative prize bundle, with bird seed and related goodies.

 


Kids have a wide range of prizes for the summer, too.


Here's a look down the length of the library. The kids' area is at the back on the left; teens are on the right.


The key word for this library, for me, is "signs." There are signs everywhere, and they are fun, attractive, and interesting. Here, for example, we have a cart of books with a different theme on each shelf: top shelf, Books with food in the title. Second shelf, a color in the title, and third, a number. Nearby, another cart held books that have been made into movies.


At about that point I realized that I was hearing the gurgles of running water To track it down, I walked through the children's area, and I found a large aquarium, home of Yertle the Turtle. On top of Yertle's home is another sign, identifying the Pet Provider for the month. This is a volunteer who provides food and other necessities for Yertle. My first thought was that I should share this idea with Trixie the Cat in Independence, Kansas, but then I remembered that she is well provided for by those she calls her "hoomins."

   

When I worked as a library page for a few years, a common problem was well-meaning patrons who (mis)-shelved books they had been looking at in the library. I've seen many signs that try to address the issue. One in Goffstown, NH, is even in verse. But this one seems especially clear. I wonder if it works?


There is a meeting room on the other side of those windows, here in the children's area.


I've seen quite a few variations on "animal chairs" in libraries. I think these are especially cute.


Large-format books with saddle-stitched binding can be difficult to manage. They flop! Especially here, where picture books are on shelves rather than in bins, a way to corral them is needed. This wire rack seems to be up to the job.


These books seem to be plotting an escape!


Two types of creativity are ready to go. Bins of LEGO bricks on one side, a stack of coloring books and tin of crayons on the other.

    

Handsome signs are posted throughout the library, guiding patrons to the books they want. I like the way authors' names are used here, instead "Kee-Nel, Nim-Sag." It just seems more readable and inviting. The library logo and the book-themed background are nice touches.


Here's the non-fiction version of the signs.



This is an interesting sign--and the policy it represents. It makes sense, if staff are not prepared to give computer assistance. I saw this in action just before I left the library. A patron had apparently asked for an appointment for some assistance, and the staff at the desk called to the Director to ask if she could set up an appointment for Friday. A quick look at his calendar, and the Director called back that Friday would work, but she should avoid the time of a scheduled program. [Yes, "called." The library is delightfully casual--and fairly small.]


The young adult area is for kids in junior high or high school. They have quite a list of rules about everything from language (no swearing) to public displays of affection (don't).


The books, displays, and posters are eye-catching. I didn't take a picture of the YA prizes, but they look really good, with interesting combinations, like "LEGO journal, Butterfinger Bites, and an Amazon gift card." And how about "Up to $50 in Young Adult books, chosen by the winner and added to the library?"

    

The painted "sign post" is clever, with its variety of real places within the library (Young Adult, Biography) and other places within books (Walden Pond, Baker St.).


When I started these visits in 2012, I never saw "employment stations," though the services they provide were no doubt available. These days, it's unusual to find a library that does not have space dedicated to job searches, resumes, and so forth.


Paperback books are shelved efficiently by keeping them all together.


Another "new standard" in libraries is the browsing area with current periodicals and comfortable seating. Usually there is natural light, as here. Curtains and plants are nice touches.


The Mercer library is in its 103rd year, if you count from the beginning. It's in a relatively new building and has had several additions. The photograph below shows house that was donated, then replaced with a purpose-built library.


The kitchenette is right next to the service desk. I didn't see it as I entered, because it was on the left and I was being greeted from straight ahead. I spotted it as I was leaving. It's important to have it handy to keep the staff caffeinated! (Just teasing, folks!)


There, I got this written the same day as the visit. Enjoy! Share! Leave comments!

7/16/2019

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for visiting our small-town library. As you found, the staff is very friendly and helpful. There are lots of activities to keep the community engaged and reading.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.