Friday, July 26, 2019

513 Flower Memorial Library, Watertown, NY

I almost missed this library, which was the first stop on my itinerary for the day. I set out from my motel and ran into morning rush hour traffic. Between the traffic and not being sure where I could park, I almost gave up to head out of town. I am so glad I found a parking space, this library is not to be missed if you are in the area.


The Flower Memorial Library was built in 1904 in honor of Roswell P. Flower by his daughter, Emma Flower Taylor, and opened to the public in 1905. Ms. Taylor. It is full of art; I have a booklet that outlines a self-guided tour, and perhaps I should have followed it, but I am more interested in the library aspects of the building. You can find much more information on the library's website.


You enter the library through an elaborate rotunda. The marble floor includes bronze inserts representing signs of the zodiac. It's also important to look overhead!

i


To the right there is a meeting room, complete with a meeting, so I could not go in for a picture. The young man in marble is one of two statues that lead the way to this room.


There are two reading rooms with identical fireplaces. The flower theme is appropriate, given the name of the library's honoree. 
    

This room was the children's library. Now it appears to be a very flexible space for programs of any sort. We'll see the modern children's room soon. The room honors Mrs. Taylor's eldest son, who died in infancy. The mural above and to each side of the fireplace shows a boy and a girl, each holding flowers, and the text "A little child shall lead them."


This picture suggests the size of the central space on the first floor. The presence of computers reminds us that the modern and the antique are present together.


In many places this summer, the reading theme is outer space. A display of books pulls together many titles for adults on this theme, with a nod to current events surrounding "Area 51."


In the mid-70s the library was enlarged. One way to tell whether you are in the old or new part is to look at the floor: marble, original; carpet, new. This area, part of the children's library, is ready for crafts and...whatever.


I like this sign pointing out the new books and reminding kids that nonfiction is real facts.


Just a long shot of the extensive children's collection. It seemed to me that the juvenile non-fiction collection was especially large.


Bookshelf cards stick out to help kids find books on particularly popular topics, like Space.


I hope that having the biographies called out in this way means that youngsters are still interested in reading biographies.


I didn't see any signs prohibiting cell phone use in other parts of the library, but perhaps I missed them. This seems especially appropriate, since adults should be attending to and interacting with kids when they are here. In my opinion.


This lineup of computers includes one for the smallest kids, with pre-loaded software (just out of sight to the left), two "regular" computers, and one for self-checkout.


The wing chair in the background, plus the colorful rug, identify this as a space where stories will be told or read.


A small corner holds a large sign about the importance of talking to children when they are very young. I like to see this emphasis, since a pet peeve of mine is parents who talk into their "devices" and ignore their kids, when they could be introducing vocabulary and concepts.


This is a great idea that I've seen in a few libraries that have the space: A separate family computing room. Parents can work at one of the computers along the wall, and there is space for kids to play with the various toys. I hope parents also make use of the rocker to take a break from work and interact with the youngest family members. In any case, it allows parents to use the computers without their children disturbing other adults.

    

Here's the adults' computing lab. There are eight regular computers and one "zoom text" computer for those who need the screen enlarged.


They're everywhere...jigsaw puzzles, that is. There are many of those soft easy chairs here and there, too.


According to my notes, these are the new books, with a place to sit and browse the current titles. Stickers on the book spines tell what month each book was added to the collection.


I'm seeing this more often, even in my "home" library: Books that are not suitable for the next book sale are offered for free.


Now I'm on the second floor, where a balcony surrounds the rotunda. The balcony area is full of art, which is all described in the "self tour" guide. This area is surrounded by rooms that are used for various purposes. Seating here is on stern wooden pews; only a few have seat cushions!





Well, OK, some of the seating here is comfy! And the views are great.


This is not a historic room. It's a 1" scale model of a colonial room, safe under glass. As one who once made dollhouses, I found this especially interesting--and very well done. It's in the local history part of the library, not the children's area.


I don't know what special software may be loaded here, but you have to talk to a librarian before you use this computer.


One of the librarians to help with the research computers may be found here...except when she or he is helping a patron somewhere else. Allowing me to get a picture!


I didn't get a picture of one other special space on the second floor, because it was in use--which is good. A SUNY Attain Center uses library space, but has its own staff and is not part of the library.

Media are located on the basement level, along with periodicals and places to sit and read.

    

Biographies are on the wall shelves. I was glad to see biographies shelved separately. A library where I used to work insisted on shelving them in with other non-fiction, which I thought was difficult to use. Many patrons, those who especially like reading biographies, thought so too.


A bookstore is located on the lower level.


This sign caught my eye when I was using the stairs. Teens are encouraged to come to the library on specific dates and write cards or letters to seniors in the community who may not have much social contact. I gather that this is not a particularly popular activity, but that the action picks up around holidays. It's a great idea.


At this point I realized that I had missed the teen room, so I went back up to the second floor to find it. There are computers with desks and chairs that look as if they mean business for homework time. Also, plenty of books and my favorite: natural light.

   

Time to get back on the road to the next library on my itinerary. Farewell to a wonderful institution, where the staff welcomed me--and where I have probably disappointed them by overlooking some of their favorites. And farewell to the pair of lions that greet you at the door; I'd call them by name, but I learned that they do not have names.



7/25/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.