Monday, August 20, 2018

494 Logansport Cass County Public Library, Logansport, Indiana

This turned out to be the penultimate visit on my trip, since I decided to remove a couple of others from the itinerary. I tend to bite off more than I can chew when planning a major trip. So here we are at the entrance to the library in Logansport, Indiana.



To the left as I entered I found this calm, somewhat formal sitting room, with natural light, a fireplace, and a pair of oil paintings.


Initially I thought there was just this one "diner booth," but I later realized there are three, located in separate spots. There are also two mid-sized meeting rooms that look as if maybe they can be combined into one larger room, and a small study room.


It seems that in addition to diner seating, the teen area has study tables and some casual seating. YA books are on low bookshelves and along the wall.


One of the first things I noticed when I reached the children's non-fiction was a cluster of books on mythology, several of them rebound. From the wear on the books it appears that they are popular, although two of them date back to 1960 and 1907! Why not? Myths don't change! Graphic novels, I noticed, are shelved with fiction, without anything to indicate that they are graphic. Perhaps this shows that graphics are going mainstream? Or perhaps it's simply that there are not yet enough graphic fiction titles here to justify their own shelf.


Some manipulatives on the table mark this space for the preschool set. And notice the round windows, similar to what I saw in Ashtabula and Geneva, Ohio.


Children also have four computers, plus a train set for the little ones. The shelves here hold picture books and children's media.


Here's a better view of the children's computers. A sign nearby asks that if more than one copy is needed of something being printed, the user should print one from the computer, then make additional copies on the copier.


The children's librarian has an "office" in a corner of the children's area, with the "stuffies" safely stowed on shelves. [I picked up the term "stuffies" from Canadian libraries. I like it.]


Board books are nearby in bins and tubs.


There are ten computers on the first floor, arranged with five on each side of a curved wall. I wish I could show you...it was very nicely done. But no picture was possible because so many computers were in use.

This graceful staircase leads up to a mezzanine level with the adult collection and 18 more computers.


It's nice to have places to sit with natural light and a view to the outdoors.


I found this vertigenous staircase tucked away. No thanks, I'll stick to the curving staircase or the elevator!


Books, books, books. The wooden ends on the stacks give a nice finished look.


The original Carnegie library, built in 1904, burned in the early 1940s but reopened about a year and a half later. Renovations and additions continued in the early 1970s and 80s.


I just had to include the flowers. Planters like these are everywhere in downtown and even out into the residential areas, on the sidewalks and hanging from lamp posts. They really tie the town together...and someone must be putting a lot of work into maintaining them.


And while this picture was obviously not taken at the library, after driving though a lot of rain, I just couldn't resist. Go ahead, see what shapes you can find in the clouds!

8/16/2018

I received a comment on 6/6/2022 asking about the flowers outside the library and around town. I can't figure out how to respond to the comment, but here's the answer: I have no idea! This visit was four years ago!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen--this is Rachel at the New Glarus Public Library. You left your tote bag in our restroom when you visited the other day. I don't suppose you'll be back this way at all? We currently have it in our office. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rachel... I just found this note, and I'm not aware that I was missing a tote bag. Could you describe it, please?

      Delete
    2. Oh, wait, now I know what you're referring to...it must be the canvas bag I used to bring in the magazines I left for the swap box. I have so many tote bags of various sorts, I never missed it. You are welcome to do with it whatever you wish.

      Delete
  2. Hi Ellen, I found you via the clerkmanifesto blog. I look forward to reading some of your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ellen. I linked you (as I mentioned) on Reddit and thought you might like to see the really nice comments (and do please note the 1.2 thousand views, 99% upvoted!):

    https://www.reddit.com/r/Libraries/comments/9djcu5/every_library_i_can_a_library_blog_i_really_like/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What type of flowers are those called?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.