Tuesday, August 14, 2018

486 North Adams Public Library, North Adams, Massachusets

The fun began before I entered the library, as I walked up the sidewalk from where I'd parked the car. This piano was only one of the interesting art pieces displayed by the various institutions on my way.


Have a seat before you tackle a visit to this interesting building.


There's the painted piano again. The canopy above and the blue tarp on the ground are needed in this drizzly, rainy weather.


This new entrance blends well with the older building. The lobby has a stained glass window to display and honor donors' names.


Here's one corner of the stacks, with a hint of the computer stations to the right. This was another busy library, limiting my picture-taking opportunities. A sign pointed out that paperback fiction is on spinners at the far end of the stacks. One corner holds a MagniSight magnifier for those with low vision.

I noted that People Magazine must be requested at the service desk. I think this indcates a common problem: people do like to tear out articles about their heroes.


Here is the one picture I got of the children's space. Perhaps it's because of the cool, gray, drizzly weather, but this area was busy, with children everywhere. Good for kids, bad for pictures.

In addition to the typical book and media collections, there are large plastic tubs that can be borrowed, with materials on various topics, like dinosaurs, bugs, volcanoes...all kids' favorites. I also saw a poster and some plants from a "Summer Garden Club." The poster included kids' comments about what they liked about the club. My favorite said something like, "We were all here this week. I wish we could all be here every week." Sounds like a summer program that developed social skills as well as gardening.


Beyond the children's area I found the Reference Library with the non-fiction stacks as well as computers and paper reference works. At first I wondered "Surely people wanting to use non-fiction don't have to come through the children's area!" No worries; this is where the elevator is located. Not that you couldn't walk through the kids area, but you have an option. [Sidebar: I also spotted an iRobot vacuum cleaner huddled in a corner near its charging station. Cool!]

Every room has a fireplace, from the days before central heating.


A room where you could sit and read. That mirror at the right reaches all the way to the very high ceiling.


The former dining room. I would be so afraid that I would spill something, I'm sure I could't enoy eating here. But I'd be happy to sit on the blue sofa and read.


They're everywhere! Jigsaw puzzles, that is. I not only saw this one at the library, when I stopped to visit a couple of cousins in the next town, I found them putting the finishing touches on a very nice cat-and-book themed puzzle


It took a fast shutter finger to get this picture of the circulation desk when the busy staff were not in view. Going past this desk brings you to the DVD collection. Note: You can only take out two new ones at a time on your library card. That seems fair.

Another policy I spotted on a bulletin board had to do with library cards. You have to show a picture ID and something with your address; that's standard. But here, your card is "on probation" for three months. During this time, your borrowing privileges are limited. If you have a clean record after three months, you then get full borrowing privileges. I haven't come across that policy anywhere else.


Another room near the desk holds periodicals. A sign states, "Quiet please, this is not a place to socialize." As a former family home, this building has room after room, each with a fireplace and each with its role to play in the library.

The fancy metal endcaps on the shelves in the stacks caught my eye. I really like finding little details like this that are still in use.


A last view of the building from the car as I drove away.


8/13/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.