Thursday, August 9, 2018

482 Richards Free Library, Newport, New Hampshire

The Richards Free Library occupies this handsome old home, and every nook and cranny has a purpose.

As I approached the library I saw this school of fish, or "fish sticks," in the lawn. I regret that I did not learn anything about them. I think perhaps they have something to do with the nearby Arts Center.


As you can see, the two organizations share the space. This was the last stop on my eastward trip, or I would have been willing to visit the Arts Center; I certainly was offered the opportunity.


Sturdy railings and a ramp (to the right of the picture) afford easy access to the building.


This piece of stonework is from an earlier library.


To accept a tour or go on my own, that is the difficult question. In this case, I accepted the tour from the library Director, which is good because it gained me access to the upper floors and plenty of information about how the spaces are used. Each of the many rooms has a specific theme and purpose. The downside is that I took fewer notes, and now, just a busy day later, I find that my notes are less than adequate. I will do my best, and refer you to the library's website for more details.

I took the first interior picture on the top floor of the house, in what was originally the ballroom. This space is now used for meetings and various events--including a ukulele group.


This rounded corner room has been in use for the summer reading program and is in the process of being "set to rights." The summer reading program here involves The Jake Maxfield Connection (www.jakemaxfield.org) through which tutors work with youngsters to maintain or grow reading skills over the summer.


I forget exactly what Kenneth Andler's role was in the library, but I found this on the website: "The librarian sat behind a high counter with a brass grill, which Ken Andler removed in 1931." I strongly recommend the history on the library's website, http://newport.lib.nh.us, for multiple interesting tidbits about the past.


Here is one of several grandfather clocks. This one, I believe, was used as an accurate timepiece by a watchmaker in town. There is another that has wooden gears!


Another of the many rooms in this fantastic house.


When children were first allowed into the library, about a hundred years ago, their designated space was in the basement. This bright room is a major improvement, certainly.


Framed posters line the walls above the children's fiction collection.


More of the collection.


The walls of this room are lined with posters from the annual Sarah Josepha Hale award. (http://newport.lib.nh.us/sarah-josepha-hale/sarah-josepha-hale-award/). This award has been presented since 1956, and goes to a person who has had a distinguished career in literature. The recipient must come to Newport and give a speech or reading, resulting in a very impressive line up of talent visiting the town over the last 50-plus years.


Finally, after turning down the kind offer to tour the Arts Center, I took a picture of the impressive staircase. It always amazes me to see houses like this (we have plenty of them in Minneapolis and St. Paul, too) and think of them as family homes. Yikes!


In my car, driving to Concord to pause in my  travels for a visit with family, it dawned on me that I had seen a lot of the building, and especially the upstairs rooms, but my memory came up a little short on the functioning library side, except for the children's area. I may have to return someday--and if I do, I'll be sure to allow time for the Arts Center.

8/8/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.