Saturday, August 11, 2018

483 Charles D. Brainerd Public Library, W. Danville, Vermont

My nephew Scot and his wife were riding their bikes along a Rail Trail in northern Vermont a while back when they saw a sign advertising a book sale not far from the trail. They investigated and found this tiny library. Knowing of my interest in visiting libraries, Scot sent me a picture and some information. I was at that time planning my 2018 road trip from Minnesota to New Hampshire, so I was able to work a visit to W. Danville into my itinerary. Then it got even better...instead of making it part of the long trip, it became a separate day trip with my nephew and both of my sisters. I didn't even have to do the driving!

So, what am I talking about? The Smallest Library in Vermont!
















This is the point where I planned to supplement my sketchy notes with some history from the library website, but I discovered that the website expired back in mid-July. I hope the good folks of the library will be able to get it back up.

Back in 1928 it was a gas station...one of five in the area. That was too much competition, and the gas station closed. But the Brainerds willed money that allowed the gas station to be converted to a library. That library lasted for about 20 years before closing. It is now open again, thanks to the efforts of a core group of women and their husbands, with the support of others from the community.

The building had fallen into disrepair over the years, of course. Extensive work was needed on the building, and the books had spent the intervening time in the company of mice and other vermin and could not be salvaged. But the building was repaired and painted, and many, many books were donated. So many books, in fact, that the library held the book sale that caught my nephew's attention, And the library reopened three years ago.

Community support includes lawn mowing by the folks at the food truck next door to the library. [We did not eat there, as we'd just come from breakfast at Polly's in Sugar Hill, NH, but my sisters bought soda and reported that the menu looked very tempting.]

Now the little building, about 10 by 17 feet, houses a collection of fiction, non-fiction, biographies, and books for teens and children of all ages. Here is about half of the adult collection...


...and here are the teen's and children's collections:


There is no electricity, so there are no computers. There is no heat, so the library will close for the season in October. But if you'd like to meet some dedicated volunteers and perhaps find just the book you've been wanting to read, stop by West Danville, Vermont, between 2:00 and 4:00, Monday through Friday, before the cold weather arrives. Or put it on your bucket list for next spring; they will be there.


8/19/2018


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.