Thursday, August 9, 2018

479 Hamilton Public Library

When I was looking at a map to choose a route across New York, the town of Hamilton caught my eye. Why? Because I have a bunch of young relatives who are totally enamoured of the musical "Hamilton"--perhaps I could score points with them by putting this town on my itinerary. Well, that didn't really work, but who cares? The library is totally worth a visit, no matter the name of the town.


Isn't that tree great? There is a small enclosed lobby with an on-going book sale. And if you are interested in children's books, come back on August 31, when there will be a special sale just for them.

Inside gets natural light from a row of clerestory windows on each side. I have a nice picture of this, but I can't share it because I inadvertently got two people in the picture. The rule: NO people!

I spotted seven public computers on my way to the children's area.


Here in the preschool area I started to realize that the "theme" of this library is "color and art." Note the painting hanging on the wall, the painting ON the wall, and the paintings on the window!


Step into the room, turn to your left, and WOW, look at the chairs! What a neat idea to paint them like this. I wish I had asked who did the painting. The variety makes me suspect there were multiple artists.

Not that I would want these chairs to leave, but I did visit a library once where chairs had been painted by local artists and were being used in a single-theme silent auction as a fund raiser.


Once upon a time the piece here must have graced an entrance hall, providing a place to pull on boots and hang jackets. Now it has a new life as a storytime "throne." Perfect!


Based on the signs, this room has a double life. STORY STREET sometimes, and, according to the sign at the top, "Adult Literacy." And speaking of literacy, this is one of few libraries where I've seen information about Dolly Parton's "Imagination Library," a free program in which parents can sign up to have their child receive a free book every month from birth to four years.


One more painted wall!

   
A circle of chairs near the children's area lets parents visit while the children play nearby. Windows provide natural light and a pleasant view.


I predict that this puzzle will be finished very soon.


More comfortable chairs for adults face the fireplace (with candles) and provide a quiet corner for adults to read or browse. I seem to have overlooked the adult collection. Be assured that non-fiction and fiction in all its genres are present in abundance. In fact, my notes mention a roomful of each.




I found surprises around every corner, like a wooden cabinet holding historical books... 








...a corner with a pair of chairs and small table from a one-time parlor...





                                       

...and a large glass dome full of taxidemied birds, once a feature of many high-class homes.


Missing from my pictures is the display of photographic art, and so many other details. I'll leave the Hamilton library with a picture of this sign out front. A couple of hours after I left, the place would be jumping!


8/7/2018

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved the Hamilton Library. It has a homey, friendly atmosphere. It has been graced by a number of very special librarians. I remember a bookcase of biographies for new readers when I first visited.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.