Thursday, August 9, 2018

481 Manchester Community Library, Manchester, Vermont

It took a while to get to the library door! First I was distracted by a storywalk based on the book "Shades of People" by Rotner and Kelly.


Then I had to take a closer view of a group of trees that are brightly dressed; someone put a lot of work into this.


Coming back up the sidewalk to the library, I took a tempting peek into these large windows.


And then I reached the front door.


Usually the first thing I do is speak to a staff person. I want to introduce myself and my project, and request permission to take pictures inside. [In 481 libraries, permission has only been denied once, so long as I promise to keep people out of the pictures.]

The librarian I spoke to told me an interesting fact about the design of this library. Three architects were involved in the design, one for the outside of the buiding, one to determine the use of space inside, and the third to provide the design details. It appears that there must have been some admirable cooperation.

The other thing I learned was that this is the library's fourth year in this building, but Manchester has had a library since 1887, on another site.

I stepped into the Teen Loft long enough to get this picture. The Loft was occupied, so I stepped out again right away.


Here's a view from outside. It looks like a nice place for kids to hang out.


The summer reading program is winding down, and the prizes are on display. One of the prizes is a falconry program...how cool is that?!


Next I turned to the children's area. This window looks into, or out of, a librarian's office, providing an opportunity for some supervision.


Here is part of the children's collection. I like the wooden shelves, but wonder about kids reaching the highest ones. I'm sure there's a solution.


This is something I don't recall seeing before: a collection of Free Books in the children's area. It's a bring-one, take-one system, like a Little Free Library within the library.


This must have been a busy day so far, judging from the state of the play area. Who might help with tidying up?


Apparently the house-elves are not available. As at other libraries, I was told that the signs are effective about half the time.


A room apart from the children's area appears to allow free access to craft supplies. The drawers below hold all sorts of supplies, and there are work tables in the middle of the room. This is very nice for creativity, and in my opinion very brave of the staff!


The wall of the craft space is livened with a map-like graphic.


Here's the entrance to the Craft and Activity Room. Doesn't it just make you want to go in there and start "messing about" with a creative project? I really like those four-season trees.


Finally, there are backpacks already loaded with books and toys on a theme, ready to head home for a couple of weeks.


I'm familiar with "book art" in various forms, but I don't recall ever seeing a sturdy building like this. One thing nice about it: it uses a lot of books!


In the adult portion of the library there are a number of computers for public use.


These signs will flip to the back of the monitor after you have a chance to absorb the policies.


In the adult area there are non-fiction stacks down the center and fiction to the side along the walls. I spotted some books identified as "Emerging Adult" books. I learned that these are the "more mature" YA books. I do not envy librarians these days who must determine which books are for children, teens/young adults, emerging adults, and simply adults.

The adults also get this handsome firplace with comfortable chairs and the racks of periodicals close by.


A nearly-ubiquitous jigsaw puzzle underway is backed by a view of the grounds. It's always nice when a library has a visual connection to the outdoors.


I saw several signs asking patrons to "please enjoy your coffee and food in the cafe commons." The picture shows just one portion of the commons, where there is plenty of room to visit and sip. Another part of the commons has high stools and a counter and is designed for laptop use.





If you had any doubt that this library is in Vermont, consider the patio and benches of Vermont marble.


8/7/2018

4 comments:

  1. Did you know Manchester is an Appalachian Trail town? You might’ve seen a scruffy thru hiker except these days I think they rely on their smart phones for internet access. It’s too bad, visiting libraries was an enjoyable part of my thru hike. In 1999 I walked to the former Manchester Library far out on the west side of town. Unfortunately it was closed. I should give you a list of libraries I visited during my thru hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scot,
    Actually, among other support services/infrastructure requirements...our new library was a key component to Manchester being designated as a Trail Town...and we welcome hikers all the time to come in, get cool, connect to our free WiFi, use a computer, and gain information about the area. Our central location makes a big difference from "back in the day" of 1999! If you're ever in Manchester, stop by!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.