Monday, August 6, 2018

477 Faith Johnston Memorial Library, Rosebush Branch of the Chippewa River Lib Sys

I chose this library for two reasons: it is in the part of Michigan I would be in, and it is open on Sunday. As I got closer to the town of Rosebush, I was concerned to see these signs in support of the Chippewa River District Library. This was the first thing I mentioned to the library staff. He was very confident that the millage vote would come out in the library's favor. I certainly hope so, because this is a very cool library!


I am sometimes asked to name my favorite library. I truly don't have a favorite; how could I, when they are all so different? There is, however, a certain type of library that I like a lot. They are located in small towns. They can be a bit hard to spot unless you approach from the right direction. They are in re-purposed storefront buildings. And what is inside those plain walls will blow you away.


The collection is not huge, but there is something of everything. And there are little extra touches, like the popcorn picture on the wall in the media corner. The collection is effectively expanded through an exchange program with other branches of the Chippewa River District Library System.


Beyond the media, a small room holds six computers: the Adult Computer Lab. Ten minutes after the door opened at 1 pm, half of the computers were in use.


The library space was once two shops. Expanding led to this attractive space. In a larger library, a space like this, with the fireplace and comfortable chairs, would be an adult browsing area...period. Here, however, this is a flexible program room, used for concerts, meetings, and most recently for a bird program with assorted raptors. The shapes you can see above the faux fireplace are small copper plaques with names of the "Cornerstones of the Community." The stacks in the right rear hold adult fiction and non-fiction.


This is one of two cases holding musical instruments from the personal collection of the staff person in charge. He brought them to support the summer reading theme, "Libraries Rock." A second case holds a variety of brass instruments.


The walls of the meeting room are decorated with art in American primitive style, painted by a local artist. [I had a better picture of one of these paintings, but my camera played it's occasional trick of rotating a horizontal picture into a vertical one, and I have not found the magic words to get it to rotate back.]




Two available bits of wall have been pressed into service for genre fiction, westerns on the left and science fiction on the right. I'm sure that mysteries and romance are here somewhere, but I didn't happen to spot them. (That door leads to the restroom.)


OK, if you insist, here is a closer picture of one of the paintings! Tilt your head right or your screen left...


This is a feature I seldom find in storefront libraries: an outdoor program space with wicker chairs, a lovely place to sit in the shade and read. Tiny spaces can hold real surprises.


A common theme in many libraries is a tree, in many forms and for many purposes. This one evokes the outdoors with the circular bench around the trunk. Leaves on the tree provide another way to acknowledge contributors to the library.


In addition to the Adult Computer Lab, there are eight computers for general use.  Shortly after the library opened for the day, a couple of youngsters were busy with ... something ... on a couple of these computers. They were keeping the staff person busy with technical questions, which speaks well of the kids (willing to get help) and staff (very willing to give it).


More musical instruments from the same collection, in this case drums from a variety of cultures.


The preschool area has pictures books, of course, and also this handsome barn. The barn was provided by a service organization, but I failed to write down the name and I don't trust my memory. If someone will let me know, I will revise this entry.


Books on display in front of a large mural should tempt school age readers.


And finally, there is an area for teens.


This library in a town of just under 400 population is open six days a week, Sunday through Friday, for a total of 44 hours.

One other thing about this area, and I think the library plays a role. Many signs are posted concerning the prospect of wind-powered generators coming to the area. They do not say "Vote yes!" or "Vote NO!" Rather, they ask you to "Learn before you decide." That's respectful. And I believe the library helps with the "learning" part.

My fingers are crossed for a positive outcome in the election; please do let me know.

8/5/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.