Sunday, August 19, 2018

491 Geneva Public Library, Geneva, Ohio

Driving 20 miles took me from Ashtabula to Geneva, Ohio, and I later learned that they are in the same county library district. Once inside, it was clear that the two libraries are siblings, or at least cousins.

I took two pictures of the sign in order to show two programs. Both are interesting and a bit unusual, especially the Family Talent Nights.

     

The broad blue expanse of doors and windows makes a strong statement at the entrance.


Inside and to the left is a room with vending machines, a snack bar, and an on-going book sale. This is the only place I've seen the sign "No Book Scanners Permitted." I don't think librarians (usually) sit around thinking up signs for no reason, so I assume there has been a problem in the past.


The long central "hall" is distinctive for its clerestory windows and a repeat of the blue used on the doors. The design gives a classic look to the library, without being at all stuffy..



The teen area is designed more for study than for games. At least that's what I thought before I spotted a glassed-walled game room similar to the one in Ashtabula. One difference: In Ashtabula, two boys were seated and intent on their game, while in Geneva the room held two teen girls who were standing and doing some sort of active game. [Not a scientific study; too few samples and no control.]

    

Fiction is in stacks to the left as you walk through the library. The collection starts with YA near the teen area; genres following are Inspirational, General, Romance, Historical, Science Fiction, Fantasies, Westerns, and Graphic Novels. At the end you arrive at Large Print books and a seating area with a fireplace and the periodical collection.


At the very end there is an area, sort of an alcove, with a stained glass window and a shelf of old classic books, including a set of McGuffey's Readers. More similar books are on a facing shelf.


Just about anything can represent history...including the First Traftic Light in Geneva.


This picture was taken through the glass wall to the right, into the Mary Louise Legeza room for history and genealogy. A similar room on the left appeared to be a multipurpose space. It was being used for tutoring when I was there, I think.


Non-fiction and biographies are on the side of the library opposite the fiction books. There are study tables here, eight public computers, and a second fireplace area where the newest books and media are displayed.


An over-all view...I finally figured out how to fix the pictures that my computer chose to rotate! This picture was taken for me from a point of view I chose not to access. Read on.


It's time to head to the children's area, which is to the right of the entrance. I'd been tipped off during my Ashtabula visit: "Wait until you see the treehouse!" Well, lots of libraries include trees, real and not-so-real, especially in children's areas. But nothing prepared me for what I found here.


For a sense of the scale, consider that a librarian entered that doorway and went up the spiral staircase inside, where she used my camera to capture the overall view shown above. Can you imagine the fun kids must have here? I'm sorry I didn't get to see kids in action...but on the other hand, with kids playing I wouldn't have been able to get the pictures.


Here's another view of the entrance to the tree house, and a manipulative board attached to the wall outside. Notice the mural that puts the tree in context.


That mural wraps around two walls of the children's area. It's magical!


Curved seating surrounds the tree, providing a place for parents to sit and watch the action.


There's more to the children's area than a treehouse, of course. Here's a view of the J collection, with tables and chairs watched over by the large round window.


These smaller windows provide a view into--or out of-- the nearby workroom and office space. There are at least four computers here for kids to use.


Geneva is also the home of a bookmobile, which I did not see because it was out being mobile.

8/18/2018


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.