Thursday, August 16, 2018

488 Your Home Library -- Johnson City, New York

I was scanning the map for my New Hampshire trip and saw a town that appeared to be in the right place. I found the website: Would it be open on the day I got there? Check. And at the time I expected to be there? Check. But the clincher was the name I found when I went to the website: Your Home Public Library. Intriguing. So it went into the itinerary.

The children's librarian told me that the library name can make for some interesting phone conversations, when people think that it is their home library, no matter where they live.


I was given a paper with "a brief history" of Your Home Library. Here's the condensed version, minus a lot of details:

* March 9, 1917, the idea of the library was formed by the Johnson City Literary Society.
* The house that had been erected in 1885 became the library building.
* A large addition was built in 1920, and the Children's Room was moved to the new space.
* The library was owned and supported by the Endicott Johnson Corporation (shoes) until September, 1921.
* The Village of Johnson City purchased the library in 1938.


The first thing I spotted inside was a display of scientific "toys" that can be checked out by anyone at least 18 years old. Some examples: Magnetic Science, Science Microscope, Electric Snap Circuits, and K-Nex. This is a great idea, and one I haven't seen before.

Near the science materials is a handsome brick fireplace with a classic frieze--and racks of T-shirts for sale. [I would have, but I couldn't find my size.]


There are at least four public computers. The old card catalog is being used here, as at so many other libraries, as a seed catalog.


Here's a bright, casual corner for readers.


As with most libraries that were once residences, there are nooks and crannies for each type of material: fiction and non-fiction books, media, and reference. I could not get a picture of the space visible between the two stacks here, because it was occupied, but I made a note that it is very bright and cheerful...perhaps once a porch.


I spotted this in the Teen area: free comics! We've come a long way from the days when comics in a library would be anathema!


Heading to the back of the building, into the "new" addition (it's not quite 100 years old), we find the children's area. Large windows make the room burst with light and energy. This is just a sample of the many books on offer for the youngsters. I didn't see it, but I understand that there is a program room above this room, approximately the same size!


For some reason I get a kick out of finding these sloping reading desks. The librarian told me that they often cover the table with paper and put out crayons. The most recent paper had just been removed.


The play area for little kids is in front of the fireplace. Adult seating gives parents a place to watch and visit...or they can get down and play with the kids. Both are good.


Here's another view of the large collection of books and media for kids...


...and here is one more.


I had parked out back of the library, where I spotted these signs. The Friends have their own space, apparently, and book sales are held at specific times.


8/13/2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.