Monday, August 6, 2018

478 Seneca Falls Library, Seneca Falls, New York

After writing a blog post very late last night, I overslept this morning. The only way to make up the time was to skip an Ontario library that was scheduled, and head straight to Seneca Falls.

Blogspot was apparently feeling whimsical this evening, and brought in my pictures in reverse order. They can be moved, but it's an awkward process. So you can imagine me walking through the library backwards. Let's see how this goes.

I walked through the lower level first, but let's pretend that I started upstairs. The balcony view gives a fine overview of the layout below.


Two opposite sides of the building have these handsome arched windows. If you look very closely, you can see a circle of metal in each of the squares in the second row. They're much more noticable in real life than here. It's a neat, subtle detail.


Here's another bird's-eye view of the children's area on the lower level. We'll see this again.


After seeing these octagonal tables (there are six of them), I wonder why I've never seen them before. They strike me as very practical, with seating for four, but with the flexibility for others to pull up chairs to the remaining sides.


Down the stairs again, I looked around the kids' area. I seldom see the Dewey system rug these days, but I think it's a nice tool for teaching school kids about the numbers. I can imagine inventing a game in which kids try to find a book to match each segment, for example.


I learned that a children's librarian has joined the staff recently, leading to some changes and excitement in youth programming. Because of its location, I'm guessing that this is her desk. Doesn't it just look creative?


One corner of the first floor is the law library, holding law books of various types. It appears that the most recent volumes are probably available on line, rather than taking up shelf space.


What I wanted to show here doesn't show up too well. Look at the top of the picture book shelves; those are two little seats, basically cubes with padded tops. There are also some seats that are shaped pretty much like marshmallows, if you can imagine a one cubic foot marshmallow. Nice seats for kids.


You may have spotted this in the picture taken from the balcony. I like the curved carpeted steps. An arrangement like this can be used with performers on the "risers" and the audience on the carpet, or vice versa.


These back-to-back carrells are an effective way to provide computers for public use. They use space well while providing appropriate privacy for users.


One of the computers is set aside for job searches and resumes.


The summer reading program is winding up, and six happy kids are going to start the school year with a brand-new bike. A bike helmet comes with each bike.


Somehow, this library felt rather low energy, despite my animated conversation with the staff person on the desk. Perhaps the reason is that I was there at supper time. More likely it was my low energy after a long day of driving. As I was leaving, more patrons were arriving, and I probably just missed a lively evening.

That's my loyal Prius C hogging the view of the library. I should have walked around the library; I think this is a "rear view." But it was SO hot and humid. In fact, there apparently was a short, strong rain shower while I was inside.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.