Saturday, July 5, 2014

255. Brooks Public Library, Brooks, Alberta, Canada

There are some very creative people at this library, and with their permission I'll tell you that they are Cassandra and Jill. Where shall I start with what they are up to? First, the children's area has a total castle and fairy tale theme, with a tall arched "doorway" and murals on the walls with thematic pictures. This area is called Karen Armbruster's Kids Castle. And how about programming for boys 7 to 12 that includes "Fear Factor" (I think the poster had a reference to "What would you be willing to eat?") and Amazing Race? The same board displayed promos for Wii for Tweens, Ramadan Story Time, and Spa Day for Girls. [I was told that when school kids were told about the boys' program, girls very much wanted to do it, too, and were not satisfied to be told that they would have a spa day. You go, girls--equality!] How's that for variety?

Within the kids area are tall windows, big floor cushions, board books on one windowsill and a padded bench in front of a long bench by the windows. I like the sign that says "Three ways to read a book: Read the pictures, Read the words, Retell the Story. What a great message to convey!

Teens have not been forgotten. They have the opportunity to vote for a movie they want to see, there are volunteer opportunities, something called Teen Scene meets on Wednesdays from 6 to 8, and best of all: Extreme Water Fight for ages 13 to 18, bring your own water gun if you wish and prepare to get wet!

I hope my daughter is reading this blog post, because I think she'd enjoy this sign by the computers, with a picture of grumpy cat: "I can haz cheezburger? NO, YOU CANTZ. Please, no food or drink at the computers."

The biggest surprise to me was to see books with their Dewey numbers covered, shelved by category. I was told that this practice is called BISAC. Google didn't help me with the acronym, so all I can tell you is that it means shelving books as a bookstore would. Great for browsers, and would simplify shelving, but I should have asked how it works with the catalog. What if you are looking for a specific title? Hey, Cassandra and Jill, answer that one in a comment, will you please?


Aside from the library's location being COIC (Clear Only If Known), this is a terrific place with very lively programming.

For more, go to http://brooks.shortgrass.ca/ and https://www.facebook.com/BrooksPublicLibrary.

7/5/2014, car



4 comments:

  1. When looking up a non-fiction title with BISAC it will tell you the category and then the sub category.
    Example: Martha Stewarts Favorite Crafts for Kids. You will find this in our ‘Crafts and Hobby’ section under ‘Crafts for Children’
    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked my sign "Read the pictures, Read the words, Retell the Story." I was tired of children telling me that they can't read, so that's why they only borrow movies, video games etc..! Excuses excuses...

    Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally with you on that, Cassandra. My pet peeves where I work include "No, don't take that book out. You've already read it!" and "OK, you have two books...now let's go get some videos." On the other hand, I once overheard "No video today. Remember, you have to read ten books before you can take out a video!"

      Delete
  3. Instilling a love for reading into kids is so critical. I love the fact that people are willing to put in so much effort to help bring the joy of reading to the next generation!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.