Tuesday, September 1, 2020

522 Conway Public Library, Conway, NH

Look at that sky! No wonder I decided this would be a good day to head north and find an open library!

The Conway Public Library was established in 1895 as the Conway Village Library Association. In 1900 a couple of local citizens gave the building, complete with clock tower and bell, to the village. It was officially opened to the public on January 1, 1902. I suggest you check out the library website, where the Henney History Room offers more details.


Accessibility is provided with this long sloping ramp.


Beside the end of the ramp is this welcoming sign, and the attractive bench and plants.


Welcome to the library!


Many mobiles hang from the ceiling. The credits will be along shortly.


This is the first library I've visited since COVID-19 became part of our lives that is truly open.   It's still true, however, that face masks, social distancing, and hand washing/cleaning are  expected. My hunch is that these habits will be with us for a long time...the new normal.


Here we go...the mobiles are by Peter Blue. You can see additional mobiles in some of the pictures.


The non-fiction shelves are in what appears to be a newer part of the building.


Natural light and Windsor chairs combine to make a pleasant reading and studying area.


I spotted this policy sign on a computer carrel. The library where I used to work believed in keeping the computers on until the last second. I prefer the 5 Minute Warning system! 


The older part of the library has many attractive design features, like these stained-glass windows and the quotations painted near the ceiling.


This corner of the library has classic carrels and a roll-top desk. Pictures are displayed throughout.


The elaborate fireplace, tiles, stained glass, and easy chairs create an attractive area.


In my experience, it is a rare New England library that does not have a grandfather clock.


Flanking the clock are displays of books of New Hampshire interest, and especially about the White Mountains.


Here is another comfortable and attractive area. Note the frame on the red wall...


This display shows pictures of the men and women who established the library. Only two women, and according to my notes one donated books and the other provided music at the library's dedication.


At the risk of "too much information," I will mention that one nice thing about visiting libraries is that they almost always have nice clean restrooms. This one went a step beyond, providing ten steps for proper hand washing--with no mention of birthday songs!


If you've visited the blog much, you probably know that the presence of trees often signals the presence of the children's library. This was a great treat, because of the five or so libraries I've visited since re-opening began, this is the first where the children's area is open. The toys are still tucked away, to avoid extra cleaning, but at least kids can now come in and browse books.


And here we are again with a picture on its side. My camera does this from time to time, for no discernible reason. I now know how to fix it, but I have to spot it early in the process and I usually get lulled by many "correct" pictures and forget to check. Anyway, what we have here is a decorative work in progress, a representation of Jack's beanstalk. The garden where the magic seeds were planted is on the left, the clouds surrounding the giant's lair on the right.


The children's area is downstairs, which means that it is partially below grade. The windows and bright yellow paint remove any sense of undergroundness.


One toy is still out, a sturdy dollhouse. There are two pieces of furniture in the attic; the rest is put away. Since I used to build dollhouses, I'm always happy to see one at a library.

Perhaps one library in ten seems to make an effort to encourage "library manners." The "helping hands" for cleanup after play generally depend on the parents, who either say "Let's put the toys away for the next kid," or "Come on, we need to get home and fix dinner." Of course, for now it's not an issue: no toys!


I like this nice carved wooden relief of the tortoise and the hare.


I wish this were not so blurry, but I'll leave it here because it represents a very special program called Believe in Books. There are a total of 100 red backpacks, each with ten books. Anyone can borrow these, you don't even need a library card--though you do have to talk to the library staff, you can't just walk out with them. Plenty of libraries have bag or backpack sets like this, but not with such an interesting policy


I guessed correctly that this is a summer reading program prize. What I did not get right: it's the adult prize! Kid winners, I learned, will get credit at a local bike shop so they can create a custom bike. How cool is that?!


A very elaborate cuckoo clock hangs next to a case with an antique American flag.


Just before I left, I took this picture of the stairs to the lower level and the kids area. 



8/31/2020
 

1 comment:

  1. This is a nice one. You have a good eye for picking out the most distinct and appealing details.

    I like the windows and that one chair. I never think libraries have enough leather chairs like that.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.