Tuesday, September 1, 2020

523 Belmont Public Library, Belmont, New Hampshire

My next stop was in Belmont. If you look at a map for Conway and Belmont, you'll think I'm crazy; geographically the pairing doesn't make much sense. [Any sense, my sister would say.] But distances are different here than in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, for example. Anyway, it was a nice drive, for the most part. This is a view of the Belmont library from the parking lot.


The basic rectangle is dressed up with many classic touches.



I was still standing by the service desk when I noticed these "take and make" boxes that patrons can borrow to try a craft or an art medium without a major investment in materials. I understand that they are quite popular.


The library was given to the town in 1928 by the family that operated a nearby mill. That mill produced socks from Civil War days, right through World War 2!





Natural light, heat if needed, and a cushion on the chair...I could happily curl up here with a book!


The cluster of five books on the middle shelf are the newest books for teen readers.


Here's a closeup of one of the decorative tiles that grace a fireplace. And below that is where I thought there would be a picture of the fireplace itself, but I must have been distracted...I didn't take that picture!


Even small libraries need technology these days. 


You'll just have to settle for this picture of the other fireplace.


These pointers and reminders are always important.


A staircase that I found challenging is the primary way to get to the lower level. The librarian offered to unlock the back door, shown here, so I could walk around to the lower level, but I conquered the stairs. Going up is easier. If you'd like to see this door from the outside, go back to the first picture. And after all of that...I seem to have failed to take a picture of the children's area. Darn.


The library not only has a grandfather clock, it runs and keeps good time. This is at least partially thanks to a tune-up it had fairly recently.


 8/31/2020

1 comment:

  1. You told me to check this one out! Your pictures make it look bigger than the outside. I like its density.

    I'm sure I'll be in charge of it in no time at all...

    Thanks for another nice tour!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.