Sunday, September 13, 2020

526 Wilmot Public Library, Wilmot, New Hampshire

 Greetings, reader. If you've been following along, you may have seen that my last library visit resulted in a time-consuming adventure. Because that adventure took so much time, I went home instead of making my third planned visit. Yesterday (Saturday) morning I had nothing planned for the day--and then I remembered that one of the libraries I'd been looking at recently had Saturday hours. A bit of exploring and I found it: Wilmot. I collected my notebook, pencil, camera, and gps and headed out on what turned out to be one of the prettiest drives I've made in a long time.

When I pulled up to the Wilmot Public Library, the first thing I saw was a volunteer tending to the flowers that enhance several buildings on the site.


I always look for interesting signs. In this case, the topic is donated books. I know first hand from my library days that people tend to think that they have a fantastic collection of books and any library should be thrilled to receive them for a sale. Or, what many donors think, for the library collection. In many cases, they are correct. And in many cases they are not. Anyway, many of the libraries I visit have a sign similar to the one shown here. What sets this one apart, though, is the clear statement "Please do not leave book donations on the doorstep. They will be taken to the dump."


The library is run by volunteers during the Saturday hours. I had a great time talking to that day's volunteer. I think it would be great to be a library volunteer and be "in charge" for a day! Two patrons came in for brief visits while we were talking, which was fine as the occupancy rule (thank you, COVID-19) is currently six. Eventually I tore myself away to look around and take pictures. I started by walking to the back of the long rectangular space and taking in the view out the large windows. And for some reason, not taking a picture of the view.  What I got instead was a look at the books for sale. I can be so easily distracted!


Returning up the ramp from these books, I was fascinated by a collection of "Harmonograph" drawings created by a local resident, John Moto, using a special guide for a writing implement. I once, long ago, had a small, similar device; mine was made of plastic and was called, as I recall, a "Spirograph." It was harder than it looked to do well, maintaining even pressure and moving smoothly. The second picture below is an example of what Mr. Moto is able to create.




I truly thought I had a picture of the next corner, but either the camera or I goofed. I am the most likely culprit. I'll chalk the lapse up to my distraction on realizing that I was looking at a collection related to Donald Hall, one-time poet laureate of the United States and a long-time resident of Wilmot until his death in 2018. You can get just a glimpse of the Hall/Kenyon Collection at the left of the picture below.

The Friends of the Wilmot Library are very active, and I strongly suggest that you google "Wilmot nh public library" to check out the site, including a listing of their newsletter archive.


Here's a fuzzy picture of the fiction stacks. The chairs with their "Scrabble" cushions are handy for browsers and easily movable to provide seating for programs. I really like those cushions.


Every library, no matter the size, has a technology center with at least a computer and printer.


And of course, a library will have a collection of media to loan out.


A central portion of the library provides space for the children's collection, with comfortable seating for browsers and a very large braided rug. 


In the children's area I enjoyed seeing the wicker chair with scaled-down Scrabble cushions, and a child-sized desk.


The library is lined with windows for plenty of natural light. Here it is shining on a caterpillar-and-alphabet rug for the picture book crowd.


Children haven't had many chances to visit the library since last spring. The large chalk board is ready for their return, and I'll bet it is popular.


On my way out I stopped for a picture of the flowers and the blue table, placed in honor of September 11, which was the day before. 

After more chat with the library volunteer and the woman who had been working with the flowers, also a library volunteer, I headed back home, an even better drive since I was able to avoid the Interstate. I prefer the back roads when possible, but it's hard to explain that to a gps!


When I got home to my laptop I found an email titled "You didn't ask about out tiny libraries." Well, that's because I wasn't aware of them. The note writer provided a link to an article in the Concord Monitor, which you might access here:  https://www.concordmonitor.com/wilmot-tiny-library-11611867

If that doesn't work, google "wilmot tiny libraries"

Also, go to the Wilmot Library site and scroll down under the Friends of the Library (FOWPL)

When Little Free Libraries s(LFLs) started popping up everywhere, people would sometimes ask me if I thought they would be competitors for library business. They didn't understand why a library might have a LFL nearby...or even on the library grounds. These people need to know that it's not a contest. The idea is to get books into the hands of as many people as possible, to enhance literacy, not to be exclusive.
Stepping off soapbox now.

9/12/2020









No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.