Thursday, September 17, 2020

528 Tuftonboro Free Library, Tuftonboro, New Hampshire

I didn't know when I set out that I'd be visiting two libraries, with significant new additions, less than 10 miles apart. Don't try to tell me that libraries are passe! Yes, some are struggling. But in my experience, even more are doing well, even thriving. It may be a struggle, but people want their libraries! The large new parking lot is a hint that growth is underway.


The day of my visit, September 15, was their first day open to the public after being closed during the pandemic. It's just as well that the hours on the sign are not legible, because they are also not current.  But there are hours every day except Monday.


This is the older part of the library; this door is currently unused. The cornerstone of this part of the building is 1991. It hardly seems possible that that was 29 years ago!


The former back door is now the front door. The white portion to the left is the new building. A landscape committee has started work on plantings beside the sidewalk. I expect that this entry will be very handsome next summer.


Most libraries are putting returned material into quarantine for three days, typically. Therefore, books are collected in special locations. This is unusual for the "caution" sign.


I wish I had one of these step stools in my apartment! It has two great features: it folds flat against the wall, and it has "handles" that rise above the steps, great for balance. I was told that it is used a lot.


Here is the inside of the old entrance. It seems to be used now as a place to collect books for an upcoming sale. I like that it was retained rather than remodeled.


Just a glimpse of the stacks, adult fiction on the left, non-fiction on the right.


A handsome window gives a view of the trees beyond the parking lot. An indoor-outdoor link like this is always welcome.


The new book browsing area is short on seating at the moment, but it is supplied with hand sanitizer to keep the books clean.


I've seen keyboards like this before, but not often. What a help this will be for patrons with low vision!


Teens and young adults have their own material.


This is my all-time favorite restroom sign.


There is a sizable community meeting room that will be served by these pegs for outerwear. This is New Hampshire, after all...a good portion of the year calls for warm jackets.


The children's area is brightened by large windows and the colorful jackets on picture books.


A large-screen TV and a computer workstation are ready for action.


I'm glad I had a tour of the library and these lights were mentioned. They really do make the space "pop."


Another view of the old entrance.


And a final look at the future landscaping.


9/15/2020

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.