Thursday, September 17, 2020

527 Public Library, Wolfeboro, New Hampshire

The Wolfeboro library has a new addition and looks very spiffy. They've just reopened to the public. All that's missing now is a LIBRARY sign...I walked around to the "old front" and didn't see one, but there's always a chance that I missed it.


I like the differing heights of the bookshelves here. I find this visually interesting, and it's neat how it allows space for art to be displayed. The area to the right of the picture  displays new books.


Looking the another way across the same space gives an idea of the spaciousness. Of course, some of that spaciousness is because the library is "trimmed down" in response to the pandemic.


From another angle, you can see the handsome grandfather clock. Many families have found that the public library is just the place for a precious family heirloom like this that no longer fits into their home.


The new part of the library includes a couple of glass-walled study rooms. Glass rooms are pretty common these days, as they allow privacy for quiet study but not for monkey business.


A wide range of periodicals address many patron interests. Hand sanitizer is on the table, ready for use before and after handling the magazines.


Turning a corner, I was surprised by this wall of windows, with pairs of comfortable chairs and small tables. The flowers are a nice touch.


Arrows on the floor direct traffic, minimizing social contact. That's a sad way to say it., but that's how it is these days. 


At the end of the window wall there is one more chair, a special one, with a reading lamp. I wonder if there is a story here?


Books of old maps are displayed behind glass. There is a genealogy and local history room nearby, but it was closed when I was there.


I had a very nice view of the open pattern of rafters on the ceiling and the full length of the library, but I goofed and got a person in the picture. I always promise not to do that. I'm sorry you don't get to see it.

This is the children's librarian's office with a good view of the action in the kids' area. The curved desk at the left is actually the check-out desk from the original library. It was saved and refinished; one of these days it will be back in service as a checkout desk for the kids. It's been cut down from the original height to make it accessible for youngsters.


This is a great collage of nature photographs.



One of these days it will be possible to have story time in person instead of virtually. When that time comes, the rocker and the two-step seating will be ready.


Isn't this a nice set of light-weight seating that kids can move around?


There's a sizable collection of books for the school-age crowd.


There must have been a contest or perhaps just a challenge, resulting in this miniature dwelling. I wish I had asked.


The other end of the shelf shows a different take on the project. And now I'm ready to head up the road to the next "-boro" on my trip.


9/15/2020
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.