Thursday, September 10, 2020

525 Hall Memorial Library, Northfield, New Hampshire

This was a rather unusual library visit. I had the impression from the website that the library was a bit more open than it proved to be, and that led to a long afternoon. I had a pleasant, scenic drive to Northfield, over-riding the gps a few times since I'm a bit familiar with the area. I found the library without any trouble, parked, sorted out the things I would need (notebook, pencil, camera) from the jumble left on the passenger seat after the Boscaven visit, and headed for the door. That's when I revised my idea about openness; a sign and a push button convinced me that the library was not open except by appointment. Well, darn; but I had one more library lined up in my notebook, so no big deal.

No big deal, that is, until I returned to the car and saw my keys and phone lying on the passenger seat. And of course the car was locked. Well, even without an appointment I needed to find help. Mainly, a phone to call AAA. Am I glad I renewed my membership last week? Yes, I definitely am.

So I rang the bell, confessed to not having an appointment, and asked to borrow a phone. Fortunately my  wallet with the AAA membership card and phone number was in my pocket. This was about 1 pm, based on the time stamp on the first photos. The AAA person was very nice and said someone would come to help me "no later than 3:35." Two and a half hours! [My sister has pointed out that I could have called her and she could have been there in about half an hour. Great idea, but I don't know her number. Modern phones with their "Contacts" lists have overridden any skill I ever had at remembering phone numbers. Anyway, I'd recently payed for that AAA membership.

At this point I returned the phone. I was very kindly allowed to use the restroom, and I got permission to take pictures. I ended up with a rather strange set of pictures, because I was distracted by my circumstances and was snapping photos rather randomly. Also, it hadn't really sunk in that I had a 2.5 hour wait ahead of me. Let's look at some pictures.

Normally I'd get information about the building's age, some facts about the Halls (this is Hall Memorial Library), and other tidbits. And if I'd asked, I probably could have done this. But I felt rather odd under the circumstances. Three staff seemed very occupied with their jobs. So I wandered and snapped and left to wait for AAA.

Fancy window and periodicals

Old books in the historical section

History, architecture

More old books, in a glass-front case

A large screen and conference table

Ah, here's something specific, fiction stacks with cards showing where each author last name initial starts. Clever, and helpful.

Desk and upholstered chair; surprising to see upholstery!

A collection of odd figures

More figures

I especially like the cat, of course.

Chairs are not for sitting.

A nice computer setup, with plastic covers on the keyboards and a Plexiglass divider between work stations

At this point, I left to wait for AAA and wandered around taking pictures. It still hadn't really sunk in that it wasn't even close to 3:35 yet.

Until I moved back to NH after 50 years in MN, I hadn't realized that things like sign posts and curbs are made of granite here. Well, it is the Granite State.



It really is a handsome building...

...from any angle.

Now it's 3:35. No AAA. 3:45, still no AAA. I buzzed the buzzer, was allowed in again, and borrowed the phone again. "He should be there in 15 minutes. No, wait, let me call him and check. Umm, make that 45 minutes." Thanks. I'll wait. And thanks, kind librarian, for the use of the phone. I went back outside. At least the temperature was pleasant and it wasn't raining.

The one place available for sitting was a bench dedicated to a former children's librarian.


I sat here quite a while, peeling bark off sticks. No reason. Just something to do.


After I saw this sign, I wondered of a cop would show up and tell me to move on. Reading those paving stones filled some of my waiting time.


There is a time capsule buried near the building. It was buried in 1980 and is due to be opened in 2080. This suggests that it will be exhumed by those who are young kids today. I find it hard to be very optimistic about whether that will really happen. I hope it will.


The time capsule is looked over by the gargoyle shown here. I'd have missed this, but for the librarian telling me to look for it. I'll trust it to be a good protector.


 9/9/20

PS: The AAA fellow showed up eventually and used special tools to get into the car in about 5 minutes. I decided to save the third library on my list for another day, and went straight home.

2 comments:

  1. What a tale and ordeal! Great looking library though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tale and ordeal! Great looking library though!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.