Thursday, September 10, 2020

524 Boscawen Public Library,, Boscawen, New Hampshire

I lived in New Hampshire about 50 years ago, and now I'm back. This means that sometimes my library visits will have some link to the past, and this was one of those times. From about 1967 to 1970 I took education classes at UNH, getting my MEd. In those days teachers were in short supply, and I was able to get a  job as a substitute teacher. Understand: my degree was in secondary guidance and counselling. I had no courses in classroom management or anything else useful. I subbed perhaps a dozen times for the Merrimack School District, with varying results. The last school I subbed at was Boscawen Elementary. in the Spring of 1967, where I struggled with a very difficult fifth grade class. I left in tears and never subbed again.

This was the place I returned to yesterday. the expanded town office building and police headquarters. No tears this time; it was a very pleasant visit.

The entrance now has a ramp for accessibility, of course. I had to hunt for a library sign. Perhaps I was on the back f the building? That has happened to me before. The box and sign for library returns assured me that I was on the right track.


The town offices are to the left, and now a standard LIBRARY sign tells me I'm on the right track.


At the top of the stairs (there is also an elevator) is the library door. I entered and was greeted by two very friendly staff. We talked for a bit about my history with the site, and I received permission too look around and take pictures.


A browsing area with periodicals is located to the right as you enter the library. I like the low magazine racks that make good use of the wall beneath the windows.



Light pouring in messed with the photo, but added a welcome to the couch, plants, and coat rack. Upholstered furniture like this is seldom seen in libraries these days, allegedly because of cleaning issues.


Both sides of this bookcase hold books of local historic interest.


Continuing along this side of the library we come to the very orderly fiction stacks.


We are definitely still in the adult section of the library. I meant to ask about the little playhouse in the corner between fiction and non-fiction, but I forgot. Perhaps a child moved it here? It's certainly light enough.


The Dewey signs on the non-fiction shelves add a touch of color along with useful information.


My guess is that these four pictures (fourth one not shown) are by a local artist. They represent the four seasons, a nice addition to the library.


One fairly consistent effect of COVID-19 at libraries is the departure of toys from children's areas. I spotted some toys banished behind the emergency door, waiting for the day they can be cleaned and returned for play.


The children's area has equipment for presentations and projects along the wall to the right. I didn't write down the words on the wall because I was sure they'd be legible in the photo. I was wrong. I believe they are from Dr. Seuss. Can someone please add a comment so I can fill them in?


Similarly to the adult side, the kids have a wall of windows.


This corner with its cozy chair is the Young Adult Reading Area, provided by the Riverside Veterinary Hospital. Thanks!



One of two areas for computer use, with cleaning supplies readily at hand.

The shelves here are the YA books that go with the cozy chair.


And finally, of course, there is a good collection of DVDs and other media, close to the librarian's desk.


So, the old school is now a library. And if you happened to be in grade five in Boscawen in the spring of 1967, be assured that your substitute teacher still remembers the football being thrown across the room after recess, and the notes with the naughty language. I think I'll let go of that memory now! [Or maybe not. After so many years, it's just a funny story now.]

9/9/2020
 

1 comment:

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.