Wednesday, August 19, 2020

521 Fuller Public Library, Hillsboro (or Hillsborough) New Hampshire

 

One or two at a time, I'm finding libraries that are carefully opening to patrons...and to the wandering library logger. Thanks to websites, I've been able to find a library to visit each week for three weeks in a row. This week my visit was to the Hillsboro, New Hampshire library, which is housed in an amazing building. It was once the governor's mansion for Governor John Butler Smith and his wife Emma. Because the upper floors were off limits, as was the children's library on the lower level, you'll see a lot of the main floor details, and there are plenty.


Many interesting tidbits about the building are found in a brochure that I was given. My favorite is that  when the governor's youngest son inherited the house in 1926, he wanted to raze the building so that nobody else could live in his beloved childhood home. The community got together and convinced him to give the property to the town. His stipulation was that it always be used in service to the community, and so it is to this day, 94 years later.


No, it's not a rug; it's a tiled mosaic at the top of the first set of four stairs.


The summer reading program included a challenge to youngsters to build a castle from cardboard tubes and other everyday material. Lots of creativity and engineering skills are reflected in the results.


Rules on CORVID-19 dictate limits on the number of people in the library at one time. Many of the chairs have been pushed aside to make it clear that there are limits. It's too bad that they limit the view of this fireplace.


The computer keyboard and mouse are enclosed in plastic for ease of cleaning. Although there must be rules, the last sentence on the sign points out that we are all in this together: "We appreciate you helping us all stay healthy and safe."


Plenty of media will help folks get through the needed quarantines


I was told that recent renovations included cleaning of the extraordinary ceilings, so I'll give them a chance to shine.



And I couldn't skip the chandelier!


This must be one of the fanciest Young Adult corners I've seen in my travels.



Here's the governor's wife, Emma Lavender Smith, to the right of another fireplace. John is on the other side; I didn't take his picture, for no particular reason. Emma intrigues me because, according to the booklet, she took a particular interest in the family's piggery. This strikes me as an unusual interest for a governor's wife.


This seems to fit with the library's goal of service to the community.


I think this is the first library where I've seen a "Use at your own risk" sign. Of course, such signs didn't exist before the pandemic, and I've only visited five libraries since it began.


I've been revisiting May Sarton's books, especially her journals. I was pleased to see this selection of her novels. She lived not too far from here for a number of years before moving to Maine,


This reading nook looks inviting.


This sign reminded me of a favorite T-shirt: READ...It's like taking your brain to the gym! As for the tour of the building, it wasn't available when I was there. I plan to return when the library is fully opened again.


A balloonist's-eye-view of Hillsboro (or Hillsborough). I didn't see a date on it and I forgot to ask.


No detail is too small in this handsome building.


You can see why I feel I must return to see the rest of the building. The stairs and balcony are teasing me. The grandfather clock chimed while I was there; it sounds great. And with that, and after a fine conversation with the staff, I bought a summer reading program T-shirt with a dragon on it, picked up an interesting-looking book from the sale out on the porch, and headed home to Concord. And yes, after almost five months Concord, NH, is starting to feel like home.

8/18/20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.