Thursday, August 6, 2020

518 Hancock Town Library, Hancock, New Hampshire

Bit by bit, libraries are starting to open. I am able to visit the library in Concord, NH, where I now live. So I sit with my laptop and a map and look for libraries in New Hampshire that are  allowing walk-in visitors. And that are open on a day I want to visit, at hours that work for me. I found one this morning and set out on a 35-minute ride, mostly on attractive, secondary, tree-lined roads, to Hancock, NH. As I headed for the side door designated for entering, I first spotted this pleasant reading garden. Someone appears to have been creating fairy gardens near the benches!

This was a delightful visit, including a good chat with the librarian and the staff in the children's library. 
I think there are some fairies here...the colored bits.

The main door is in the newer part of the library. At the end of the post  you'll see the older building.
I decided to start taking interior pictures at the "back" of the library, in a multi-purpose room. Yes, the exit is here. The library is following good practices and planning one-way traffic. It's clear that this is where you leave, but we won't just yet.  [I didn't get a picture but hand sanitizer was available inside the door, on a table and in a wall dispenser.]
I was surprised to see the easy chair in the newspaper and periodical browsing area. As I've read about libraries around the country, I've had the impression that the first thing to go has been upholstered seating.
Periodicals and plenty of puzzles. I should have brought my puzzles, since my cats have made it clear that I lay out puzzle pieces on the card table at my peril.
The workroom is more accurately called the "work corner." This is a variation on a sight you will see in any library, if you know where to look.
I once had the impression that a grandfather clock was the sign of a New England library--and quilts indicated a mid-western one. I've since seen these majestic clocks in other geographic areas, but quilts still rule the mid-west. [OK, give me a counter example and I'll back off.]
The young adult section is in the older building, up a short set of steps. There is a lift for those who can't manage the steps.
I'm not sure why, but I do have a soft spot for these tables for atlases and other large-format books. Perhaps it's because they seem to be a vanishing species of library furniture.
By the time I'm writing this, one youngster in Hancock will have received the call announcing him or her as the lucky winner of this large stuffed dragon. From what I was told, many kids have their hearts set on this gorgeous beast.
The dominant theme in the children's area is COLOR. This picture is taken from the teen area. The sets of blue shelves are J fiction and non-fiction.
The children's area is comfortable. Most of the toys have been put away for now, to simplify cleaning. Picture books abound. And doesn't that couch look cozy?!
Why a picture of the emergency door? I like the colors, that's all!
For the life of me, I don't know why my camera decides that a picture needs to be turned 90 degrees. Sometimes I can fix it; sometimes I can't. If I get lucky, I'll try to come back and replace this one.
Heading back to the adult part of the library, we see an array of public computers on the edge of the YA area, overlooking the service desk. My first thought was "what about social distancing!" Then I noticed that only two computers have chairs by them. Ah, that works!
OK, I just had to take a picture of the long pale-green-and-white object. And I had to ask. Think about it for a few seconds...  It's a 6-foot pool noodle with a hand taped on the end. A humorous way to remind patrons of the six-foot social distancing rule! If you read the blog much, you probably know that I'm always looking for "the thing I've never seen before." Here it is.
Back to the exit, and this time I'll leave.
Looking back at the exit door...
Here's the sign that I should have started with. Hey, I haven't been doing these visits regularly since last year. I'll get back in the rhythm soon...I hope.
Finally, the view of the original building, with a positive sign out front. 
And I'll leave you with a typical view on my drive. Not the best view, but pretty typical.

8/6/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.