Friday, August 14, 2020

520 Webster Public Library, Webster, New Hampshire

My next stop, thanks to a tip in the Sunday paper, was the Webster, New Hampshire.Public Library. It's located on the upper level of the town hall, in a converted church.


It was a nice day for a drive, but as you can see, there was no breeze to alleviate the heat.


If you're returning library materials, use the drop box so they can be quarantined before returning to circulation.





This is a library that takes the corona virus precautions very seriously. Well, everyone does...but Webster goes the extra mile by provided multiple bottles of hand sanitizer, and asking that if you use one from the box with the yellow sign, you return it to the box with the pink sign, so that the outside of the bottle can be cleaned.


I took this picture simply because the juxtaposition of the clock and the book amused me. I didn't touch the book, but I did put it on request at my home library. I'm not sure why, because I no longer have any kindergartners to read to. (I used to be a guest reader, not a teacher.)


The stained-glass window panes are a reminder that the library is in a former church buiding.


The memorial window is a contrast with the square stained glass panes.


I wasn't taking notes, but I believe this corner is for teens. Please, if I'm wrong, someone leave a note so I can make a correction.


This desk, which I would call a "secretary desk," displays some materials of historic interest.

 
Before we leave Webster, an observation. My last three libraries have all noted that they will limit the number of patrons in the library at one time. And here's the sad bit: none of the three had any patrons when I arrived. One of them had a patron come in while I was there. I shared this observation with the Webster librarian, who was glad (?) to know that she wasn't alone. Is this part of the general concern about going to public places? Each of these libraries is providing a version of curbside service, and perhaps that is meeting the local need.  I look forward to seeing whether other libraries have the same pattern; I now know that this is a question I'll want to ask.

8/12/2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.