Thursday, July 23, 2015

353. Walker Public Library, Walker, MN

This is probably a good place to mention how much I enjoyed the driving part of this trip. This area of Minnesota reminds me of the lakes region of New Hampshire, though on a larger scale. And with the blue sky and puffy white clouds, every lake I drove past, and every glimpse of a lake through trees, simply made me smile!

This is my third Walker library, in a way. First was the old, subterranean Walker library in the Uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis. Second, the shiny new Walker library that opened about a year ago on an adjacent site in Uptown. And now, the library in the town of Walker, MN.

On the right as you enter is a general purpose room with a sign indicating it is reserved for programs on Wednesday mornings. On this Tuesday it was being used by a patron with a laptop--a nice large, quiet space.

Continuing in, I saw five computers, a display of new books, and a browsing area with chairs, tables, and periodicals. Fiction shelves are on the left, non-fiction and large print books on the right. I saw a spinner holding some kids' series books, and happened to see volumes 5, 6, and 7 of the Harry Potter series shelved with young adult books, not children's. I've read the series, and shelving these here seems totally appropriate--though I assume younger kids can check them out if they wish.

I noticed four types of language-learning materials in non-fiction: Swedish, Norwegian, Spanish, and Ojibwe; not the first four I'd see in the Twin Cities, but appropriate to the region, I'm sure.

The corner for the youngest patrons is cozy, with two carpeted steps for seating, some big pillows, games and puzzles, and a display of animal books. A poster with a bear in a super-hero cape advises "Penworthy Bear Says Be a Hero, Read!" You've got that right, Penworthy!

For more about this library, visit Kitchigami Regional Library System at http://www.krls.org/branches/branch_wk.html.

7/21/2015, car

Many of us would like to be remembered as readers.


 
 
Why, oh why, can't we say this at the library where I work?
 
The basic elements of kids' library space: a place to sit, a stuffed animal to hold,
magnetic letters to move around, and some books!
 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.