Wednesday, September 29, 2021

552 Gilmanton Corner Public Library, Gilmanton, New Hampshire

I had an errand in Tilton, and that gave me an excuse to look for a library to visit. I was intrigued that Gilmanton, with a population of less than 4000, has two libraries--or so it seemed. I'd visit two on one trip, but one of them was not open on Monday, so my decision of which to visit was made for me. This small, unassuming building near what appears to be the center of town holds a variety of surprises. For starters, it is staffed entirely by dedicated volunteers, who keep it open four or five days a week, for ten to 16 hours a week, depending on the season. 


The book return is scaled to the size of the library. And the presence of a snow shovel in September...well, winter is coming and it's wise to be prepared!


This will not be an orderly trip through the library, because the space is small and treasures are everywhere. The typewriter is impressive, but not surprising in a library. Those foot-shaped cobblers lasts are not what I would have expected, however. But when I learned that this building was a cobbler's shop for fifty years, it made sense that there would be historial treasures.


Shelves of recorded books are ready for road trips or long winters.


I thought I would be able to read this in the picture, so I didn't make a note. I do know that this impressive lady was a librarian here at one time.  And how about that handsome last!


The original building has had one addition in its lifetime, an ell for the children's area. It was actually added because boys at a local Academy wanted a clubhouse!  [Aren't those great bookends?]


This is part of the non-fiction collection. Note that there is an air conditioner for summer use.


Edgar Allen Poe and some of his books, up high.


Some manipulatives are standing by on the table in the kids area. We're in a transitional time in the covid pandemic, with some libraries making toys available again, others keeping them stashed away. 


The white card explains the shelving system for J fiction. They are alphabetical by author's last name, and within that system, four colors indicate which part of the alphabet. For example, books with a red marker are by authors whose last names begin with A through E.


Back in the old building, this easy chair is waiting for a reader. It comes complete with a reading light and a magnifier on flexible goosenecks.


This view is from just inside the door, looking the length of the library. That table in the foreground looks as if it has been here for much of the library's life.


In the days before computers, books had pockets in the back to hold a card. The card was removed and kept with the patron's name and the date. The date due was stamped on the pocket, as a reminder to the patron. Gilmanton is still using that system--it works. I've visited two other libraries that used pockets and cards, one in Minnesota and one in Iowa.

      

I made myself a "rule" some years back to always look up before leaving a library. It's wonderful how often I find something special when I do this. Here, I found a half-timbered space that I learned had once been fated to have a sheetrock ceiling, but a wise craftsman knew better and the space was plastered instead.


Perhaps the most unusual feature is this curved door. It was rescued from a fire in another building and installed here. It's not an optical illusion; it really is curved, and so are the wrought iron strap hinges. They just don't build 'em like they used to!


Did you notice that in my first entry I left some doubt about there being two libraries in Gilmanton? This is one. Another, with its own story, is not open on Mondays. It's known as the year-round library and I'll visit it later. And there actually is a third, open only in the summer. I
missed it by a few weeks, but I'll catch up with it next year.

9/27/2021



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.