Saturday, September 11, 2021

547 Nesmith Library, Windham, New Hampshire

If you're reading this before September 18, 2021, you're just in time for a really big deal. Yes, although the building pictured below is clearly modern, 1997 to be exact, Windham is celebrating the 150th anniversary of the library's founding! That's its sesquicentennial, if you like big words. So if you can, get yourself to the big celebration on 9/18/21!


A bit early to meet a friend? The weather is just too nice to stay inside? Have a seat on a bench honoring the Windom Eagle Scouts.


The handsome 1997 building has classic touches, like the columns and the cupola. What doesn't show here, but is worth mentioning, is that the same area holds the fire and police departments, with similar architecture. It's a fine trio of facilities and a "town green" for modern times.


Yes, indeed...celebrating 150 years of service to the community.





The first brick that caught my eye was this great message to Mrs. Root. The students who loved her in 98-99 are now just about 30 years old; I wonder if they still remember their first grade teacher? 


Here's another place to hang out in the fresh air.


I took an adult education course at the University of Minnesota many years ago. The only thing I really remember from the course is the importance of a "sense of entrance" for any building, whether a public building or a home. Here is an example of a very fine sense of entrance.


From the large scale of the approach to the almost home-like scale of the doors, the sense of entrance continues.


The staff would really like you to remember that this year's 150th anniverary is a REALLY BIG DEAL!


A REALLY, REALLY big deal.


This is an interesting approach to study space. Instead of fully enclosed rooms for study, space is saved and supervision is enhanced by single person booths.


One of several opportunities for patrons to share their thoughts. This may be in the young adult area, I'm not sure. I believe that teens are not the only folks who binge-watch TV. [I did not add anything to the board; I don't have a TV, so I binge-read instead.]


What an inviting corner! I can imagine this in winter, with snow outside and the warm colors inside. At the right is a collection of games, with tape across the shelves. I assume that this is a response to the pandemic, so that pieces will not have to be cleaned and/or quarantined.


Those small red books caught my eye. Usually if I see a large set of matching books it's Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, or Zane Grey! These are Yale Chronicles of America, written by historians of the time and published in 1918. I didn't check, but if the set is complete, there are 50 volumes. [Etsy lists them as "home decorating" devices; how undignified.] If you'd like to own them, be prepared to pay a lot. If you'd settle for reading them, they are digitized and you can find them on line.


It appears to be possible to shut off the multipurpose room for sound control or perhaps so it can be used when the library is closed. I didn't explore. But this is as good a place as any to suggest that you visit the library's website. It's very complete and easy to navigate. Go to https://www.nesmithlibrary.org/.


A reminder that audiobooks on CD are a great accompaniment for road trips. When I used to drive between Minnesota and New Hampshire, I'd always take recorded books. It changed my attitude from "aren't we there yet?" to "I'm here already? But I have two more disks to listen to!"  [Speaking of media, I'm sure there must be CDs and DVDs, but they definitely are not featured; I don't remember spotting any.]


I remember taking this picture simply because I like the strong colors.


Whimsical figures, along with a hint of crenellated castle walls, suggest that we are approaching the children's library.


A rug from fantasyland, a couch, a window seat with a nice view of nature...yes, we are definitely in the children's space.


That hint of castle walls is fulfilled by the actual castle! I like the chairs standing ready for the king and queen, or perhaps a princess or prince. No interior picture for the very best of reasons: an adult and a couple of kids were inside, and I never have people in my pictures. [That's how I get permission to take them.]


This special nook is for the library volunteers. Any library that treats its volunteers as special gets extra (imaginery) points from me.


This is the History Room, and I goofed by not putting the name in my notes and not getting a clear photo. I don't recall why I didn't go in, but I know from experience that it will be a trove of historical and genealogical information.


I thought this must belong to a patron until I spotted the tag. Then I looked around and discovered an extensive "library of things." In addition to the wheelchair I spotted a Yamaha keyboard, metal detector, Chilean rainstick, snare drum, and many smaller items on shelves near the chair. The first place I saw "things" being loaned by a library was in Nashua, Iowa. (Yes, Nashua, Iowa is a real place, and a nice one.) At that time, about 10 years ago, they mostly had special cake pans, but also folding chairs, tables, electric roasters, all sorts of things. I checked their catalog and it looks as if they've cut back to just cake pans.


These shelves hold some of the "library of things" that can be borrowed in Windom.


Perhaps you'd like to check out the metal detector and go on a quest?


Limited seating at tables is a giveaway that social distancing is still in effect.


And with that, I leave the Nesmith Library, regretting that I won't be able to come back next weekend for the celebration. Congratulations, and here's to another 150 years of service to the community!

9/10/2021
 

1 comment:

  1. It's my library, and I love it! I am what they call a "heavy user" - and I'm there at least once a week. The librarians are fabulous - so helpful and full of life. This wonderful library in Windham (not "Windom") is a 7-day-a-week lifeline to anywhere you want to go, whether it's pandemic time or what we like to consider "real life." Thank you for reviewing it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.