Friday, September 17, 2021

549 George H. and Ella M. Rodgers Memorial Library, Hudson, New Hampshire

 Here's a tip for you: don't arrive at the library at 2:30 on a school day! The library is next to the high school, and traffic gets very heavy for a short while. I will say, it kept moving steadily, if slowly, and I had the impression that people were helpful and courteous as they made their left and right turns. I hope that was an accurate impression.


I walked back part of the way to the road in order to get this picture and the one above with the sign. I don't know why, but the grounds look like something in the southwest (only greener). 


Approached across the parking lot, the building is inviting.


The entrance is warm and  handsome. The building is 11 years old, and was built with funds from a pair of brothers.


It's always nice when a building provides outdoor seating. Here are places to sit and read, wait for a friend, or just take a little sun.


The very first thing that caught my eye when I entered was this three-D printer. It reminded me that I haven't seen many "maker spaces" in libraries lately. Have I been missing them? They were ubiquitous in Minnesota, where I lived for many years before moving to New Hampshire.


This sunny area holds the periodicals and some comfortable seating


This is an interesting display of "Best Books of the Year," representing many varied "best" lists.


This table holds cooking and entertaining books. I really like how the use of a round table and a tablecloth very easily evokes a setting to match the topic.


I spotted three of these low card catalogs on casters. Iv'e seen plenty of card catalogs being used in various ways, but I don't recall ever seeing them on casters. It makes sense; they would be very difficult to move, otherwise. At least one of them is used for a seed collection.


A classic study carrell.


Looong stacks.


Games and puzzles, ready to go.


Providing aids for low-vision patrons is thoughtful, and I'm always glad to see them. I do sometimes wonder if they get much use.

       

On one recent visit I found a sign on the library door banning the introduction of any food or drink. Here, you are just asked to keep such things away from the computers.


I realized I was entering the children's area as soon as I saw this short coat rack. I can't recall any other library I've visited that provides actual kid-sized coat hangers!


The strings of stars represent participants in a children's program.


Various materials are kept in plastic bags, to be checked out for play at home.


I saw this sign, but I missed the cake pans. I first started seeing cake pans for lending very soon after I started this project. It seemed to me to be a fine idea. I mean, how many times do you really think you'll bake a TMNT cake?


A back-to-school question with a wide range of answers. I hoped the picture would be more legible.


This corner is for the Tweens, I believe. Tweens are in grades 4 through 8. It's wonderful, but rather rare, to see programming especially for this in-between age. [The next program coming up was "candy bar bingo."]


It's always nice to have natural light and pleasant views of the outside.


I got a kick out of this carpet. Bubbles? Stepping stones? Hopscotch for aliens? Or maybe just something to prompt a smile.


Here's a sign that things are getting back to normal: manipulative toys reappearing! The pandemic prompted libraries to put away toys that would have to be cleaned after each use. These are some of the first I've seen.

        

These steps puzzled me, and I wish I had asked about them. Is the idea to climb up onto the cabinets that hold the toys? That doesn't sound like a very good idea! Perhaps it can be moved near the toy a kid wants to play with? How about if someone leaves a comment and lets me know, OK?


I don't know whether this is a game or simply a way to make patterns with the colored rings. Either way, it looks like fun, and a good way for two or more kids to work together.


The building has many architectural deign touches, like this handsome window. And with that, I need to head for home.


9/10/2021
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.