Saturday, September 25, 2021

551 Maxfield Public Library, Louden, New Hampshire

I sometimes feel a bit bad that my library visiting hobby involves so much driving. I deal with this partly by driving a Prius (61.2 mpg on the trip to the mountains last week) and partly by combining trips. Sometimes I visit three or four libraries in one cluster. And sometimes I choose a library because it's near something else I'm going to. In the case of this library in Louden, I was already out this way for an adult education class on a farm. In the rain.


After the class I drove perhaps a dozen miles and my gps delivered me to this side of the library. 


Despite the rain, I was attracted to a couple of features on the grounds of the library. This is the Frances Nash Memorial Zen Garden.


These stairs, the Herbert Huggins Memorial Walkway, lead to an indoor-outdoor program area in the children's library.


Of course, I wouldn't have known any of that if I hadn't seen this near the entrance.


I backed up almost to the road to get this shot of the entrance.


One more sign on the building. This one has simply two dates: 1996 and 2046. The first represents the opening of the new part of the library building. The second, 50 years later, is the planned date for opening a time capsule. I doubt very much that I'll be around for that!


And with that settled, let's go inside and see what the Maxfield Library has to offer. 


For starters, the staff are very friendly and knowlegable about the library. As I've mentioned before, libraries seem to be the preferred place for heirloom grandfather clocks. This one did not seem to be working. Make a mental note of the bookcase below the window; we'll see it again.


The signpost directs us to various literary locations, from Hogwarts to The Haunted Woods. This might make you think we're in Teen territory, and you would be right.



Need another clue? That red rectangle is not (as I thought at first glance) a fire alarm box! No, it's a marker for Young Adult readers.


Of course the older part of the library has a fireplace. It appears to be decorative now, but in its prime I'm sure it served the practical purpose of providing warmth.


Seating and a table await visitors. The periodicals are straight ahead by the window.


I always like to give the periodicals a glance. They suggest a lot about the library community.


Remember that shelf we saw before? It turns out to be a collection of classic titles by authors like Lewis Carroll and D. H. Lawrence. 


Here is the media collection. The telescope is here, too, but it's hard to spot. I saw a list of about 130 New Hampshire libraries with telescopes donated by the New Hampshire Astronomical Society and available for patrons to borrow. Here and in other libraries I've heard that the Society puts on a presentation about astronomy and the telescope. This one has not been out often, largely because of the disruptions to service caused by Covid. Perhaps its use will pick up as life gets back to normal. 


This broad window seat creates a very welcoming spot. I'd like to sit there and read during a snowstorm!


This stepstool with a carved walking stick as a hande to keep you steady is a classic feature in some libraries. I've seen various models, but this is the first with such a handsome hand rail.


I like this display of books about immigration and immigrants.


Old card catalogs never die, they just find new purposes in life. I have one with four drawers at home, full of miscellaneous. This one is used for a seed collection. At least, it will be used for that purpose once people get acccustomed to visiting the library in person again.


Tucked in a small space across from that repurposed card catalog we find the computers and printer.


I was ready to head for the children's area downstairs, but I was sidetracked by a sizable meeting space, unused for quite a while since indoor meetings have been banned. It will be used again.


A door painted like this can only lead to the children's area. Note the sign that face masks are required. I'm sure that will stay true until vaccines are available for younger children. Can you spot the door  handle?


With the opening of the door we are greated with color! There are two full flights of stairs, but the handrails on both sides make the trip easy, even for my knees. Let's go down the yellow brick tile road.



A program room for the kids has rows of cover-up aprons waiting for the young patrons to return for messy craft programs.


I don't follow racing, so I had forgotten that Louden is the home of the New Hampshire Motor Speedway. This mural makes it clear that others have not forgotten!


I've seen other small tables with animal chairs, but this combination is especially attractive. A small collection of art supplies awaits young visitors.


You can't miss the Nancy Drew books in their bright yellow covers. The collection is extensive but not complete. The shelf dividers come in handy to keep books from falling over when kids take out multiple titles.


The colors in this area are great; kudos to whoever planned the color scheme. The purple counters and bookshelf tops tie the place together visually.


One more look at the speedway before I leave. I had intended to take a picture from the inside looking out at the program area, but I must have been distracted. Well, if you are in the area, stop and and take a look for yourself.


 9/24/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.