Tuesday, September 14, 2021

548 Leach Public Library, Londonderry, New Hampshire

This handsome stone sign tells us that the library was established in 1880, more than 140 years ago. I've found that almost every town has a library, and it was one of the first services established. It's generally a local point of pride.


There is pleny of parking, and the ramp you can see on the left provides accessibility.


There are ample windows for light and trees for shade.


As is so often the case, the entrance has a classical look.


Some libraries allow beverages in covered cups. Some libraries include coffee stations or even coffee shops with beverages and treats. When a library where I worked was discussing having a coffee shop, there was concern about coffee being spilled; then someone pointed out that we allowed patrons to take materials home, where we had no control over what was spilled on them. Leach Library chose a different direction, closer to my own preference.


Many practices were changed because of the Covid pandemic. It's been interesting to watch the changes. At one point, no patrons were allowed inside. Then I started to see libraries that limited numbers, sometimes to as few as two at a time, plus one staff. Services were maintained through variations of "curbside pickup." One librarian I met had a six-foot-long pool noodle with a fake foot taped to the end, that she used as a friendly reminder. Leach Library has gone with a dignified sign. 


Here is a classic "reading room" that has probably looked about the same for many years.


Another example of maintaining social distancing is this alcove with computers for public use. The computer on the right can be used. The one on the other side of the alcove is taped off, out of bounds.

      

A view out to nature is always welcome .


In a non-fiction and reference area, I spotted many of these DVD cases. It appears that Planning Board and other meetings have been recorded for posterity, and made readily available to people of the town.


I took this picture just as a reminder that here, as in many other libraries, some furniture and equipment has been put in storage until normal seating is possible again.


Can't miss the mysteries! Other genres have their own colors.


Another reading area is provided near the periodicals.


I mentioned in another recent post that romance novels are often shelved on "spinners." Sure enough, here's an example.


Another cozy corner.


Every table we've seen so far has one of these signs, again stressing the need for social distancing. 


I wish I had made a note. I think that this is J fiction, and I remember wondering about the height of those shelves. Or perhaps I'm totally wrong. Somebody please leave a comment and I'll make a correction as needed.


This is the entrance to the children's library.


I've seen these slant-topped tables in half a dozen libraries. I really like them for holding up large-format picture books or simply displaying book in their eye-catching covers. Most of the ones I've seen have been antiques, kept for the children's area when libraries are remodeled. Here it looks shiny-new and is supporting Launchpad computers for kids.


Bright colors and natural light, a winning combination.


I'm always glad to see a paper-based reference collection, but perhaps that's just my age shining through. 


It's hard to see in this picture, but I'm trying to show that DVDs are shelved along with books. I like this practice because of the possibility of cross-pollination, as it were: "Look, we can get the book, too!"


Most libraries have a separate section for holiday books because there is so much demand. But few libraries have collections that are this extensive.


This is fun. The shelves of this cabinet contain many items in a random display. A list at the upper right invites you to look for specific items. 


To add to the fun, the objects to be located are often very specific, like "a purple dinosaur in a tree" -- not just any dinosaur!


A good reminder for adults as well as kids! And with this, I have one more visit to make before I head for home.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.