Saturday, September 11, 2021

546 Aaron Cutler Memorial Library, Litchfield, New Hampshire

Nothing on my schedule (as usual) and a beautiful day for a drive, so I sat with my laptop and map and found a cluster of small towns with libraries that would be open most of the day. A little fiddling with the GPS and I was on my way, first to Litchfield and the Aaron Cutler Memorial Library.


The library appeared suddenly as I drove along; without my GPS talking to me, I probably would have overshot it. The grounds are fenced and currently sport a Story Walk based on The Pigeon Has to Go to School.


The parking area had something I rarely find: a shaded parking space!



The entrance I used is at the lower level, the same level as parking. From here there are steps up to the adult library and down to the children's area. Opening the door causes a very energetic "Bong!" to alert staff that someone has entered.


The first time I saw a telescope like this at a library in New Hampshire, I was really surprised. Then I learned that the New Hampshire Astronomical Society has been donating telescopes to libraries since 2008! 


This isn't in the children's area; it's right next to the service desk. Just the right spot for a kid or two to stay occupied while an adult conducts business with the library staff. Good idea!


Libraries often have fireplaces, but it's unusual to see a brick fireplace. The whiteboard in front suggests that the fireplace is no longer in use. [Of course, I'm sure it can be easily moved.]


An example of a "do not reshelf" sign, this one with an explanation. When I worked at a library, we periodically put out signs like this, usually for a week at a time. The librarians would collect all the books that were left lying around and ... well, I'm not sure what they did. Wrote a useful report, no doubt.


This picture shows many design details: the hanging lamp, the floral frieze, multi-paned windows, and window shades.


This is the young adult corner of the library. In any part of a library, I like seeing seating provided near stacks, for easier browsing.


I don't know whether this entrance is used. It's very attractive, and I'm glad to see the railing by the stairs.


I wish I had asked what is kept in the attic!


After wandering the adult library, I headed down to the children's area. On the way I passed this nice inclusive sign.


Although we are now partially below ground, the space is bright and welcoming.


The label "Information Books" is much more meaningful to a kid than "non-fiction."


I didn't notice the shelving scheme for board books until I saw them here. There are also some tote bags, each with a collection of board books, a nice time-saver for a parent or carer.


Since staff was away from the desk I was able to get a picture of the service desk in the children's area, with it's pandemic-mandated Plexiglass panels. 


Small spaces make strange bedfellows.


"Curbside service" enabled libraries to provide some services even during the height of the pandemic. These bags are waiting for pickup by patrons who prefer not to enter public spaces these days.


I left the library on my way to my next stop, and then realized I hadn't taken a decent exterior picture. This may be the first time that I actually turned around a half mile or so down the road, came back, and ... here it is.


 9/10/21

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.