Sunday, November 7, 2021

553 Dublin Public Library, Dublin, New Hampshire

I used to drive through Dublin, NH, every year or so on trips between Ohio and New Hampshire. I recall it particularly for a near miss on a foggy night of a flagpole in the middle of the road. The flagpoles are still there, but this week's trip was in sunshine. The stone building is quite eye-catching, but I hadn't noticed it on the earlier trips.


Libraries and literary societies have been part of Dublin since 1793. The cornerstone was laid for this building in 1900. One claim to fame is the establishment of the first free public library in America: The Dublin Juvenile Library. Various "firsts" are claimed by libraries; note the word "Juvenile" in the name, which gives Dublin its unique status. Books in the initial collection were kept in a room at Chamberlain's Tavern, not the sort of location you'll find these days for a children's collection.


Note the card catalog; like many of its ilk, it is now serving as a seed library. 


There is a variety of fireplaces reminiscent of the times when they would be the only source of heat. This one is the focal point of a dignified "living room" for readers.


The ubiquitous "please don't reshelf books" sign shares space with a reminder that this area is for quiet reading only.


This is the title page of one volume of American history published by the Veterans of Foreign Wars. There appears to be a complete set on the non-fiction shelves.


Here's that history book in situ with its companions.


Another fireplace; This one is  is centrally located between two rooms.


I meant to ask about this way of shelving fiction. I tried standing one book up and it seems that the shelves are just a bit too short to hold modern hardbacks upright.


A small selection of the periodicals available. There are more.


Each fireplace has its unique look. In this picture you can spot unique doors with curved tops and some detailing up by the ceiling.


Here are the computers for public use. The stone wall tells us that we are in the newer portion of the building, with the original stone and windows adding character to the new space.



My visit was shortly after Halloween. These are clearly the results of a seasonal project.


The puppet theater is a signal that we're approaching the children's area.


I could not find anything specific about Mr. Von Stade's role in the library, but a little gentle probing of the Internet mentions Harvard and polo.

Just about every library has a "story time chair," and this one stands ready.



I'm sure that this table, and probably these chairs, date to the early days of the library.


Some reference works are unlikely to ever be digitized, but they have a place on the shelves of most libraries.


Tucked in one corner of the children's area, a table with some craft materials ready for use.


That large box, right in the middle, represents a STEM kit of some sort. More and more I'm seeing libraries that loan materials for science, technology, electronics, and math.


I did ask about this array. Most of the figures are dinosaurs, but they are not for prehistoric play. They've been created on a 3-D printer by a library patron. I understand that he is planning to do a program at the library, showing kids (and maybe adults?) how to design and print such objects.


I'm no longer surprised by seeing telescopes ready to be checked out of New Hampshire libraries. They are provided by the New Hampshire Astronomy Society. The NHAS provides some training, and patrons can take a telescope home for a week. The best we had when I was a kid in Nashua was a large collection of stereopticon viewers and slides...and we couldn't take them home. Miss Manning would have had a fit if we tried!


I would have missed this totally, but I chanced to look back as I was leaving. I assume this is by a local artist, and I believe the mountain must be Mt. Monadnock.


A small rack in the entrance holds books and postcards for sale. Now I shall see if I can avoid hitting a flagpole on my way out of town.


11/3/2021

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.