Monday, November 8, 2021

554 Olivia Rodham Memorial Library, Nelson, New Hampshire

I've been planning to visit the library in Nelson, NH, for almost as long as I've been blogging about libraries. Why? Well, in the 1970s and '80s I was a fan of May Sarton's writing, especially her memoirs. And I knew that she lived in Nelson for a while, starting in 1956. So this visit was sort of a pilgrimage for me.
Here's the library on the town square, with its crisp lines and welcoming benches.


The library is attached to the town hall.


This welcoming space with its sofa, plants, wall hangings and other art, is as nice as any I've seen.


This reminds me of the ceiling in the Gilmanton Corner library that I visited recently. Remember my watchword: always look up!


This handsome ship model is on loan from Michael Cornog. I failed to note the name of the ship; maybe someone will tell me so I can add it here? Just leave a comment on the blog post.


Many libraries across the country are serving as seed exchanges. This one stands out in two ways. First, I don't see a card catalog. Almost everyone uses a repurposed card catalog to hold seeds! And second, this looks as if it is actively used; many that I've seen appear to have been someone's good idea that has never quite taken hold.


I like the wooden shelves: neat, solid, and classic. And it looks as if they are adjustable.

     

This corner makes the most of natural light on a sunny day.


Puppets are standing by, waiting to be used in the blue stage. Notice the shelves in the background on the right. We'll see them again.


The bright light doesn't help, but see if you can spot both marionettes.


There is a reading contest going on in November and December. What a great idea! Who says reading programs should be confined to the summer weeks?


"Look up" is good advice here, too. 


Remember a few pictures back when I pointed out some shelves? When I was in the children's area, the librarian asked if I had found the "secret shelves." Well no, I hadn't. And I couldn't. So he showed me the trick. These are tilting shelves of the sort usually used for periodicals. Here, they hold books on the sloping side...and "surprises" when you tilt them back. I was not surprised to learn that these are a favorite of kids!


One more corner for books and study space.


 Did you sense anything missing? My age is showing, because I'd expected to see something making reference to May Sarton. There wasn't a single title of hers on the fiction shelves, as best I could tell. I didn't look for the memoirs and poetry. But when I count up the decades, I realize that she lived in Nelson about 65 years ago. And I enjoyed her books 40 years ago. Time does move on.

11/3/2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.