Wednesday, April 26, 2023

606 Baxter Memorial Library, Sharon, Vermont

 I arrived at the library in Sharon, Vermont, without any muddy adventures, although some well-graded gravel was involved. [If you are wondering how gravel got into the story, you can discuss that with my pesky GPS.] Let's get on with the visit. The library is small, as you can see, with classic touches in the doorway and the roof edges. 


The first thing that caught my eye was the "OPEN" flag. The message is standard, the design is not. Could this be a hint that something special is inside?


Next, I spotted a "story walk," this one based on "How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?" I wonder if parents ever walk their kids here at bedtime to read a story in the fresh air? And I admire the sturdy mountings in metal frames. Someone took some trouble with this installation.


I didn't do the whole story walk. What else is there to see?


The library has a "back yard" with a picnic table and a gazebo, as well as the continuation of the story walk. It looks like a very flexible outdoor program space when the weather is a bit warmer and drier.


Inside now. I was talking to the librarian when I got my first look at the plethora of art here. Art of many types. For example, the climber on his or her way up the doorframe, unaware of the wolf waiting at the top. I learned that this was created by a high school student; there are other examples to be spotted, as well as some art by her mother. A real family affair!


One display of art I did not capture is a traveling display of European children's art from the Fermata Arts Foundation, I would not have been able to do it justice in any case. The foundation has an extensive website where I learned that quite a few libraries in Vermont, New Hampshire, and other New England states host these exhibits. Now that I'm aware of them, I'll watch for them in other libraries I visit. I'm not sure why I've never come across them before.

Here's another example, painted to look like a creature dipping toes into a stream that appears to be coming from the wall. Fun!


Historic books are protected in glass-fronted cases that probably date to the original library.


More special shelving. The quilt here reminds me of an observation I made when I lived in Minnesota, having to do with quilts and grandfather clocks. In the first one or two hundred libraries I visited it seemed that Eastern libraries always had at least one grandfather clock and midwestern states have quilts. It seemed to make sense; transporting a tall clock would be difficult, and quilts are definitely portable. Continued observations have convinced me that both artifacts are found everywhere.

 

I have not done justice to this delightful small library and its librarian. This tends to happen when I'm having a fine time discussing the library, art, and ... all sorts of things. Then I forget to take adequate notes, and when I get home I have trouble remembering the significance of the photos I've taken. If there are things that should be added here, let me know. I'm (almost) willing to make revisions.




4/19/2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.