Monday, April 3, 2023

603 Phillip Read Memorial Library, Plainfield, New Hampshire

 

It's been a while since I've been out on a library collecting trip. The last time I found myself in a town with three libraries; this time, I discovered that what I thought was two is actually a library and a branch. Since one is under construction, I'll start with the other, Philip Read Memorial Library in Plainfield.


My first approach was to the older building. A passing bicyclist kindly set me on the right path.


Not this one but you can glimpse the newer building on the right.


Getting closer...


And now I am inside and I have chatted with the staff, There was extra chatting here because I'd  learned that a high school classmate of mine who died recently. Meriden Library, the next one I'll visit, is the one Anne patronized. It is now under construction, So I delivered a gift and a photograph of Anne as a high schooler. We weren't friends, exactly. Anne was one year ahead of me in school, lived near my grandmother, and had a HORSE and a JEEP. Oh, the envy!

.With those preliminaries' tended to I begin my walkabout in the periodicals section of the newer building.



As I recall, the books on display here are about New Hampshire.



I'm always impressed with the large windows in older libraries.  Then I remind myself how much they would have relied on natural light. Then I remind myself to figure out how to light this sort of space for a photograph.



This is the Maxfield Parish reading room.  I failed to ask staff about the connection, and some googling didn't clarify.It's a very nice room, with a handsome fireplace.


My guess is that the gentleman in the overcoat is Mr. Parish. If I'm wrong, please leave a comment so I can make any needed correction.


More light, and thorough use of wall space.




DVDs present a challenge at any library. I like the solution here, with guidance provided for each set of shelves, and clear guidance about appropriate borrowing.

      

The final corner of my "tour" brings us to the children's area. The centerpiece is a roofless playhouse with cushioned seats on each side. Put this on the "things I haven't seen before" list. Very cute, and just right for the preschool crowd.




Various items are displayed above the books, including this detailed model ship.


With an admiring look at the children's library rug, I'll now head off to see if I can get exterior pictures of the library under construction., 



3/30/3023















No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.