Tuesday, April 25, 2023

484a Royalton Memorial Library, South Royalton, Vermont

 I don't often revisit libraries; heck, there are so many libraries and so little time...  But I've been waiting five years to visit this one. My first visit, in August 2015, was part of a special road trip. A nephew was driving "the aunties" -- me and my two sisters -- to visit a couple of libraries. [Isn't he a great guy?] I had requested this for one visit because I saw a library fund-raiser at a roadside rest stop on I-89. That struck me as very enterprising, and that's just the sort of thing that sends me traveling.

The visit was great, and I learned that the community was debating whether to remodel a handsome, classic library, or build a new one. I suppose I could have called and asked, but Royalton is only a couple of hours from my home in Concord, and I was ready for a little trip. 

 I started by walking around to the front to get a view of the early library and a reminder of how it looked when I first saw it.


Here you can clearly see the original building to the right and the addition to the left. The entrance is now on the lower level.


The original library was at the top of a challenging set of stairs. At one recent library, I climbed stairs like these and found a sign saying that I was at the wrong door. Here, a sign let me know at the bottom of the stairs that I should not waste my time climbing. Nice touch!


A bench near the door tells us that "A book should teach us to enjoy life or endure it." An interesting message.



I wish that I'd asked about the blue cart. Perhaps some kind person will leave a message with an explanation.


The book return is on the left, and an image of yours truly is in the glass of this handsome door.


On the first floor, a nice room for a small meeting.


You can't really tell from the picture, but this sink is toddler-height. What a smart idea, because we're about to enter the children's area.

 

I once had a dog like this, an animatronic fellow. I got it at a thrift shop on one of my Minnesota trips. It was amusing for a while; the cats were somewhat amused and a bit freaked. After a few months, I re-homed it at a different thrift shop. I wonder if this dog gets to come out and play?


I'll bet that at least a third of the libraries I've visited have some sort of tree motif in the children's area. Here, I think the "trunk" is probably a supporting member of the building, and the leaves are painted on. It's very effective.


Picture books are shelved (binned) topically which is great for browsing and "shelving," not so great for finding that one specific book someone has requested.


Great light fixtures, yes? I was told that the meeting rooms added during the remodeling are very popular with the community.


On the way up the stairs, this display honors those who supported the remodeling. And please notice the railing; the stairs to the upper level deserve a picture of their own and somehow I missed it. The treads are nice and wide, the risers are consistent and not too high, and there is an easy-to-grasp railing on each side. 


The plaque honors Virginia B Newman. 


At the top of the stairs we find the Teen or Young Adult area. Often the mark of teen territory is high stools or diner-type booths. I think the variety of seating here looks like much more fun.


April is a "Library Month." It appears that there are several library months. This time I came upon a drop-leaf table with a display of books about libraries. There were three that are new to me, and I now have them on reserve at "my" library.


The upper level, the original library building, has maintained its handsome features.


I like these fixtures a lot.


Cushioned seats are in front of every window. They are nice places to sit, and the consistency of their design and fabric draw the various spaces together.



A fireplace with comfortable chairs is always an effective focal point.


Most libraries are not complete without a collection of local history books and other special volumes.      

And so my curiosity about the plans for this library has been satisfied. I even got to chat with a person who had been on staff when I visited five years ago. 
A very satisfying road trip and visit. [And no muddy roads.]

4/19/2023 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.