Sunday, August 16, 2015

209a. Madelia, MN, Public Library

This turned out to be a re-visit...note the "a" added to the number in the title of this post.

As soon as I entered I spotted a table with a calendar for August with an "almanac" entry for each day. Books were displayed with dates and "events"--for example, August 24 is Vesuvius Day, and there was a book about the famed volcano. August 14, the day I visited, is V-J (Victory in Japan) Day, and there was a relevant WW2 book with the note. This is a really neat idea; I'm thinking of the occasional month when one of the display cases where I work is not "claimed," and staff have to find something to put in it.

The children's area has everything you would expect. A table by a window was ready for a young patron, with puzzles and small building blocks all set to go.

Using the study room requires registering at the desk, a reasonable way to keep track of what's happening in the library.

Along one wall is a display of seven Duck Stamp pictures donated by Charles A. Haycraft.

In addition to eight computers for Internet use, there are two special computers that I remember from my earlier visit, one for games and one for Rosetta Stone language study. There's also an electric typewriter (once in a while they do come in very handy!), a cassette player with headphones, and lots of auto repair manuals.

For more about the Madelia Library, take a look at http://www.co.watonwan.mn.us/index.aspx?NID=177.

8/14/2015, car


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.