Sunday, September 1, 2013

125a. Great River Regional: Eagle Bend Revisit

When I came through Eagle Bend last year, the library was closed. I wrote what I could based on looking in the window, reading posters, and walking around town a bit. Today, it was open and it was a treat. Like every "storefront" library I've seen, the interior felt much larger than I expected. In this case, the spacious feeling is enhanced by the presence of a historical museum on the left side, with many interesting artifacts. In a way, I was glad the museum area was closed--I would have been sorely tempted to linger there!

The children's area has a playhouse, a large stuffed dragon (sleeping under a shelf), lots of audio-and-book kits. Bins hold picture books with their spines up, a practice I haven't seen before. There are modest collections of adult and children's fiction and non-fiction, and of course patrons have ready access by request to the entire Great River Regional collection.

A sign on the wall says "Let your mind take flight," a good motto for a library. Beside that sign are a series of large drawings of famous people--by a local artist, perhaps? I should have asked. A corner by the front window has magazines to check out, as well as a magazine swap area. There are five public computers, and several of them were being enjoyed by young patrons when I was there.

Eagle Bend participates in "1000 Books Before Kindergarten," a program that I think is wonderful. Dozens of preschoolers have their names in a display on paper "scoops of ice cream"--more names than I would have expected for this small town. Kids who complete the program get a book and a stuffed animal (the Pout-Pout Fish); the program is partially supported by Kohl's Cares for Kids; thanks, Kohl's!

For more information about Eagle Bend, go to http://www.griver.org/locations-and-hours/great-river-regional-library-eagle-bend or http://www.eaglebendmn.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B00E355EF-A5D5-493C-AA21-CF9C82C3F04B%7D&DE=%7B4AB03D6A-997D-4177-943E-CAB1811E2A98%7D.

8/31/13, car

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.