Sunday, August 20, 2017

464 Roger B. Francis Branch Library, South Bend, Indiana

This branch of the South Bend library system is in an agricultural area. I knew this from the countryside I'd been traveling through, and especially from missing the turn for the library driveway and discovering a horse farm just beyond the library property.


The library was designed to fit into and honor its agricultural heritage, which it does well, both outside and in. It is named for Roger B. Francis, the South Bend Public Library Director from 1952 to 1977.

On the day I visited, a glass case in the lobby held a display by the Haiku Club, with books, some Japanese articles, and many cards with haiku that I assume are by club members. I especially liked this one by Ray Flory:
With large hungry eyes
Waiting on log fence...
The black barn cat.


Double-hung windows on two sides of the lobby, between the lobby and the library interior, give a down-home feeling to the space.

A neat display of books was labeled "Last chance to read. Give these books a second life." I checked with staff, and my hunch was right: These are books that were about to be weeded from the collection because they had not circulated in a long time, This is a neat idea, and I haven't seen it anywhere else. Sort of the library version of an animal shelter that tries hard for adoptions!

A prime example of the agricultural theme is the red silo reading area for kids. It reminds me of a similar feature in the Farmington, Minnesota, library.


This corner of the children's area provides comfortable seating and ample room for little ones to play.

I've seen the chairs with cut-out animals several places, and they always catch my attention. Such a small detail, but it just adds...something.

      

Four iPads are available on the red tables, ready for kids to use. And the Very Hungry Caterpillar (or maybe a bookworm) is guarding the books that are stored under the padded window seat.

      

The tall ceiling and long sight lines evoke the rustic barn theme. At the far end, a fireplace provides a focal point for a seating area. A piano is to the right with a sign: "Do you play? If you'd like to play a few pieces, ask at the desk."


These constructions, and many others like them, intrigued me. I read an interpretive sign about them, but didn't really dig into what they are all about. They are fascinating and would reward a longer time of consideration.


This expansive snack bar is near the adult and youth graphic novels. I'll bet there are times when this area is jumping; right after school gets out, perhaps?


I like these stone pillars that are throughout the library. In another life, they would be holding up the hay loft!


I hadn't really spotted this bench on my way in; my attention was taken by the over-sized double-hung windows. On the way out, I couldn't miss the pitchforks that form the back of the bench. A patron entering the library looked at me as if it was a bit strange for someone to be taking a picture of a bench. But I love it!


8/18/17

1 comment:

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.