Sunday, August 20, 2017

274a Cazenovia Public Library

This was a re-visit; my first visit was August 6, 2014. At that time, I was not taking interior pictures, so this post will serve as a fuller introduction to this handsome library. [Note: there is also a history museum here, but I did not visit it, as I arrived less than half an hour before closing.]

One thing I remembered, not specifically about the library, was the free public parking in back. Not just library parking, but public parking. Free! This meant that I didn't have to worry about finding parking on the busy main street; I could simply drive around a couple of corners. I hope Cazenovia can keep up this practice

Walking up from the parking lot yields a rear view of the building. Perhaps not the first thing to see, but at the end of that sidewalk...


...you can turn around and get the full impact of the classical facade. A note on the door directs the visitor around to the side...


...where a sheltered portico runs the length of the building. Keep walking...


...past the sunflower/book/bike rack. I think it's a bike rack. Why do I think so? there is a clue on the left-hand leaf of the first flower.


Beyond the bike rack is the official greeter. I remember this creature from my earlier visit, but I don't know the significance.


I don't usually make second visits; there are so many libraries! In this case, however, I wanted to see if Page was still on the staff. I met her on my first visit, and this time I had a gift for her from my Frankie and Jerry. And there she was, patrolling the premises. She is the fourth in a line of library cats going back 32 years:

  • Dewey, 1985 to 1988
  • Kitty, 1988 to 1999
  • Jesse, 1999 to 2009
  • Page, 2009... and going strong for many more years, I hope.

      

The Lego Checkout Club has spent the summer adding to a Lego structure one piece at a time, each piece representing a book checked out by a kid. I understand that this is very popular. However, younger kids are likely to move pieces that are already part of the structure...and older kids are likely to remember exactly where they put that yellow piece, and why isn't it there now?
\

There are plenty of books of all types, and the preschool area includes blocks. These have prompted this sign: "Blocks are for building, not throwing. When others are building, please don't knock over their work." I was slightly alarmed when I read this, picturing wooden kindergarten blocks of maple; the blocks I spotted, however, are similar in shape and size, but made of foam. Whew!


This part of the children's area invites parents to sit and read to their toddlers, or watch them at play.


Many libraries include thematic bags or boxes of related books. Here they are called "Grandma Sally's Bookbags;" themes I saw were "Birthday Celebrations" and "Read and Guess," each with 10 books. There were quite a few others on the shelf.


I include this picture for two reasons. First, to give a good look at the painted border that runs around the wall. Second, to show the Nancy Drew silhouette, on the prowl with her magnifying glass so that you will "get caught reading."


This final picture gives another look at the border, the high clerestory windows, and the much-larger-than-life monarch butterfly.


It appears that I have totally ignored the adult portion of the library. No pictures, but I do have some notes. There are a couple of reading/studying tables that caught my eye because some of the wooden chairs have cushions. Nice, for a prolonged study session especially. Four computers are available for patron use.

In the media area, there is a significant collection of foreign DVDs. You can borrow a fancy cake pan, not here but at the Kirkland Town Library. A Facebook post that I chanced to see today says that the Cazenovia library also lends fishing gear (I've seen that quite a few places) and croquet sets (a first).

8/19/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.