Thursday, April 25, 2013

49a. Burnhaven Library in Burnsville (Dakota County)--Revisit

This library is a nice walk from where I take my car for service, and this was the nicest day for a walk in a loooong time. On this visit I noticed 25 public computers plus 12 more in a computer lab, many in use. A sign states that "Movies on DVD free for 7 days. Look for the yellow 7-day label. Overdue fees are $1.00 per day." I looked for movies without a yellow label and didn't spot any; admittedly, I didn't look very hard.

There are at least 10 study rooms for 1 or 2 people; very nice; where I work, we don't have nearly as many, and we could use them. The teen corner has a nice big window, a diner-type booth, and plenty of books and magazines, but I didn't see any computers specifically for teens. Carrels are tucked into available corners, and some of the windows have comfortable seating. There's at least one computer near the stacks with word processing but no Internet.

The children's area has big windows, three computers for kids, and a couple of round tables with cute chairs. There are about 60 Playaway sets for kids, and about 350 juvie recorded books. That's a lot, compared to other places I've visited. The best thing for kids is the two-level program corner I mentioned in the original post about Burnhaven. This time I asked permission and got a picture; it doesn't do it justice, but it will give you a sense. The wooden "tree" is a nice touch.


4/25/2013,  car and walking



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.