Saturday, July 30, 2022

585 Milton Free Public Library, Milton Mills, New Hampshire

 There's usually a reason for my visit to any particular library. It might be a big reason, like I've been watching the library under construction for three years and it's finally opened (Calgary) or a small reason, like I've found two libraries and I'm looking for a third to make the trip at least a bit efficient. 

This time, an interlibrary loan book is the impetus. Last winter I put a book on request at my local library. In early July I looked at the details in the catalog and saw that it was due in January. Clearly, the book is not going to be returned, so I requested it through ILL. And when it arrived, I saw that it was from Milton Free Public Library. I know not to return the book there; it has to jump through the (necessary) outgoing and incoming hoops. But it was enough to put Milton Mills on my travel list.

I told this story when I returned the book to my library, and the staff person I told it to said that she remembered it; she was the person who put the request in for an ILL. I told the story again at the Milton library and again heard "I remember it! I sent it on its way." That was fun. Now let's visit.


This library was once a school, and some of the playground equipment is still in place. Bees were busy with the flowers.


Isn't this a great schoolhouse? I'm going to swipe a paragraph from the library website: "Built in 1875, Milton Free Public Library is located on half an acre in the center of Milton Mills, New Hampshire. The unique architectural style is known as French Second Empire, with a mansard style roof and dormer windows upstairs. No other buildings in town exhibit this same style, however it was popularly used in public buildings at the time of its construction. The Milton Free Public Library building was added to the New Hampshire Register of Historic Places in 2001."


I was tipped off that as much as possible was worked into the design when the school became a library. Perhaps this raised platform held the teacher's desk? 


Here's a general view from the service counter.


Although it's small, the library has a meeting room. But this is nothing compared to what is upstairs. 


The most  notable feature here, in my opinion, is that the renovations were finished on schedule. One reason for the 2019 renovations was to repair the bell tower!


There is quite a collection of The Great Courses on many topics. I listened to many of these courses while walking to the bus stop on my way to the University of Minnesota. A lot of them are very good.


Now we are clearly entering the children's area.


Here's a nice list of school "rules." I like the last line: Be kind -- be fair -- just do your best.


Did schools built in 1875 have radiators, or are these a later addition?


Several blackboards are still mounted on the walls. Perhaps all of them? I assume the chalk tray is out of sight at the bottom.


One thing that has definitely been updated is the wall clock. At least it's analog, not digital.


Yes! Here's a better picture of the blackboard with the chalk tray. And it's advertising the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program.


I didn't ask about these. They appear to be stations for a science-themed program.


I did not tackle the stairs, but I did swipe another paragraph from the library's website. "In February 2016, Eagle Scout candidate David Bloser sanded the floor in  the large room upstairs, revealing beautiful floors. The Eagle Scout's  fundraising efforts resulted in enough funds to finish the floors AND  provide a volunteer effort to paint the room, resulting in a beautiful  new space for our creative play and summer reading programs." It is fairly common to find Eagle Scout projects connected to libraries.


These look like windchimes and they have a lovely sound. A mallet is attached to each set. I believe  Chesterfield has a similar set in their reading garden.

    
    


7/27/2022


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcomed, and I will respond to them. Please be tasteful; comments that are in poor taste will be deleted.
Sorry about the "verification" step; I added it after a rash of spammish comments.